We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Odd question - Best Thrift Shops

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
613 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Odd question - Best Thrift Shops

We'll be in KC for a few days next week. My teen's only request besides eating BBQ is to find some good thrift shops - she loves "thrifting". Would prefer not to do a Goodwill or Salvation Army as we already have those here, she'd like to shop at a more local, unique to KC, type of place.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mentioned in this post
L.C.'s BBQ
L.C.'s BBQ
292 Reviews
Kansas City, MO
3 replies to this topic
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
70 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Odd question - Best Thrift Shops

There's one on 39th Street (not sure the name), but check out that area, or the Westport area generally, you should be able to find something unique. Not a thrift store, but West Side Storey in the west side area might be worth a look. If you're visiting the River Market (which I recommend anyway), there are some unique stores there. The West Bottoms area may also have some options, but I think that's generally more furniture/antiques than clothes. Finally, the Brookside area south of the Plaza has some cute shops to poke through, but they aren't thrift stores.

Happy hunting and enjoy your visit!

Mentioned in this post
Kansas City River Market
Kansas City River Market
76 Reviews
Kansas City, MO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
613 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Odd question - Best Thrift Shops

Thanks so much for the excellent info! I’ll research those spots and get to them if we can!

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Odd question - Best Thrift Shops

Thrift stores north of the river include Red Racks Thrift Store and Savers. The Goodwill stores and the Salvation Army stores are not the better options in Kansas City for whatever reason. The variety of items in a thrift store is not a function of the brand of the store but of the location of the store. A Goodwill in one city will not have the same items as a Goodwill in another city. River Market does in fact have a market area but the offerings are cast offs of the local garage sales.

Mentioned in this post
Kansas City River Market
Kansas City River Market
76 Reviews
Kansas City, MO
Reply to: Odd question - Best Thrift Shops
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kansas City