We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for first timers - Oct. 23 - 28, 2007

Which Kansas City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
394 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for first timers - Oct. 23 - 28, 2007

I will be traveling to KC in late October for a conference and will stay at the Hyatt Regency Crown Center. As luck would have it, the "must attend" conference dates coincide with both my 40th birthday and my 18th anniversary. I will arrive Tuesday mid-day; husband will join me late Thursday; conference ends mid-afternoon Friday; we will fly home early on Sunday.

Any suggestions for a special birthday/anniversary dinner on either Thursday or Friday? We're open to all cuisines but would like someplace with a nice ambiance, with mid to upper price range $50 -75 pp ok.

Also, any special things to do or see on Saturday? We like history, art, music, and nature/outdoor stuff. We would not be limited to the downtown area; we may rent a car as I've noticed there is no metrorail system.

Thanks.

Estes Park, Colorado
Level Contributor
622 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for first timers - Oct. 23 - 28, 2007

You are staying in the right place to have a nice anniversary/birthday dinner. Three of the finest restaurants in KC are within the Crown Center complex. My favorite above all is Benton's Chophouse above the Westin Crown Center. Beautiful evening city views. They have excellent steaks. It is a classy place, where you can feel comfortable in dressy casual or formal attire. We will be eating there coming up soon to celebrate a milestone in our lives.

The Skies restaurant above the Hyatt has wonderful evening views too. The Skies is unique, as it is a revolving restaurant. It will slowly turn as you dine. Dressy casual would be the accept attire.

Lastly, the American restaurant above Halls at Crown Center, is a 5-star restaurant with impeccible style and cuisine. This restaurant would be more formal than the other two named. Most meals come in several courses, and they supply wonderful palate cleansers of sorbet/etc inbetween. If you are looking for something very very nice and somewhat formal, this is the place.

All of these restaurants would be in the price-range you have named. Bentons also has a FABULOUS Sunday morning brunch. (It is almost worth the stay at the hotel just to go for brunch.)

Others nearby:

Down the enclosed walkway from the Westin you can go to Union Station, to restaurant Piedmonts. Behind Union Station on 22nd or 23rd is Lidia's. This is an Italian restaurant, well-known due to her PBS cooking show.

As for places to visit, certainly you should visit the Plaza. Near the Plaza is the Nelson-Atkins Art Museum. I'm certain others will chime in with their favorites.

Have a wonderful trip.

Estes Park, Colorado
Level Contributor
622 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for first timers - Oct. 23 - 28, 2007

KC restaurant guide

http://www.kcrestaurantguide.com/Bentons.htm

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,559 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for first timers - Oct. 23 - 28, 2007

For that combined special occasion, and already staying in Crown Center, I would go with the American Restaurant.

As for something to do on Saturday, how about a leisurely drive to Leavenworth and Atchison, just northwest of the metro area? It should be beautiful at the time of year, particularly along the Missouri River. Both towns have history and beautiful old buildings.

Leavenworth has the Fort and the C W Parker Carousel Museum. Atchison has Amelia Earhart's Birthplace and haunted Trolly tours. Both communities have other things to do, and Leavenworth has a variety of good locally owned restaurants. The Trolly tour would need booking right away.

kansas city
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for first timers - Oct. 23 - 28, 2007

city market would be fun on sat am. head to cascone's for breakfast then hit the market, could actually walk from the hyatt

missouri
Destination Expert
for Branson
Level Contributor
780 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for first timers - Oct. 23 - 28, 2007

I think there should be some activities related to the American Royal going on during your visit to KC. Horse shows, rodeo, that kind of stuff. Nelson Art Gallery should interest you. The Steamboat Arabia down at the City Market has a very interesting museum. Lots of nice restaurants on the Country Club Plaza. The Plaza is a fun place to walk around.

missouri
Destination Expert
for Branson
Level Contributor
780 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for first timers - Oct. 23 - 28, 2007

Another idea! Independence, Mo borders KC. Harry Truman home and museum/library is a very interesting visit!

Estes Park, Colorado
Level Contributor
622 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for first timers - Oct. 23 - 28, 2007

katieinkc wrote: "city market would be fun on sat am. head to cascone's for breakfast then hit the market, could actually walk from the hyatt"

Google maps says 2.6 miles.

If you are planning on making purchases while at the market, you might want to drive or take public transportation. There is ample free parking nearby.

kansas city
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for first timers - Oct. 23 - 28, 2007

yes if you are buying your pumpkins at city market- would not want to walk!!

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
356 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for first timers - Oct. 23 - 28, 2007

Congratulations on your upcoming birthday and anniversary!

You will find that KC has lots to offer as far as entertainment & dining options and I'm sure you'll have a nice time.

The name of the restaurant in Union Station is Pierpont's @ Union Station and would be my first choice for your special celebration. I've dined there several times and enjoy the food, service & ambiance.

Benton's Chophouse is excellent as well - great location, excellent food and would be my second choice.

The American Restaurant comes in third - just because my personal experience has been that the atmosphere is a bit "snooty" and I prefer to be a little more relaxed.

Personally, I haven't dined at Skies in a number of years, so I cannot attest to the quality of the food, however it is definitely worth a trip to enjoy the views.

I don't think you would be missing anything if you skipped Lidia's.

The City Market is interesting and worth a visit but definitely DRIVE there. The walk/drive from Hyatt to City Market is in the heart of downtown KC which is virtually a ghost-town on the week-ends.

If you want to visit a historic town, about a 20 minute drive from downtown - try Parkville, MO. It's located on the MO River, has quaint shops & boutiques and a few decent restaurants as well.

Enjoy your trip & safe travels!

Estes Park, Colorado
Level Contributor
622 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions for first timers - Oct. 23 - 28, 2007

Thanks for the correction: The name of the restaurant in Union Station is Pierpont's @ Union Station. (Piedmont's is in Durham, NC) Ha.

We enjoy Lidia's. If you like authentic Italian cuisine, and are looking for a nice place for lunch/dinner, I'd give it a try. All the restaurants mentioned are excellent.