We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

restaurant recommendation

new york
Level Contributor
166 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
restaurant recommendation

Hello everyone,

I'll be arriving in Kansas City this Friday in the evening, and I'll probably be tired and hungry, could you recommend a good restaurant walking distance to the westin crown center hotel? We usually prefer southern Italian or french food with a decent bottle of wine.

Thanks for taking time for this!

Kevin

Estes Park, Colorado
Level Contributor
622 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: restaurant recommendation

Kevin, You are in the perfect place to have excellent Italian food. Lidia's Kansas City is in the freight house district behind Union Station. (If you'd like, you can google it.) Lidia's has authentic Italian cuisine, and is known throughout the country, both for quality and for her PBS cooking show.

To get to the restaurant by walking, you can use the "link" pedestrian walk from the Westin to Union Station. In the Westin this is accessible on the 2nd floor in the NW corner of the building. At Union Station go down the stairs to the first floor. This will walk you through a diner (it is okay to do this), and then into the main room of Union Station. From there take the Grand Hallway to the North. At the end of the hall there is a doorway to take you to the pedestrian bridge and freight district. This will end up with you being in the parking lot of Lidia's, Jack Stack BBQ and City Tavern. You might check with the info desk at Union Station to see how late the pedestrian bridge to the freight district is open. I have only traveled it during the day.

If you prefer to travel by car, simply go north of Union Station on Main, take the first street to the left, then the next street to the left and you will drive directly to it.

Enjoy.

Estes Park, Colorado
Level Contributor
622 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: restaurant recommendation

Sidenote: If you'd like great service and a nice steak/primerib, I highly recommend Benton's Chophouse which is on top of the Westin.

Also, within the Crown Center complex is the world-class American Restaurant, and Skies Restaurant atop the Hyatt.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
416 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: restaurant recommendation

I agree that Lidia's would be a great choice. FYI. . . The pedestrian bridge is open along with Union Station until Midnight.

Estes Park, Colorado
Level Contributor
622 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: restaurant recommendation

Thanks Greg, we can always count on you! I'll remember this next time we're staying at the Westin. I wasn't certain what time Union Station would close (or the bridge).

new york
Level Contributor
166 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: restaurant recommendation

oooh, that sounds like a wonderful reward after a long flight. Thanks very much for the info!

regards,

Kevin

6. Re: restaurant recommendation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 06:21
Get answers to your questions about Kansas City