We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family get-together over Christmas, ideas?

minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
202 reviews
Save Topic
Family get-together over Christmas, ideas?

We have 5 adults spending several days in town. I haven't spent a lot of time in KC for decades now and am looking for fun holiday events and great restaurants. This is actually our first Christmas without our father, so I'd like to make it special.

We're not big into shopping malls or bar-hopping, more like good live music, ethnic food & exploring - a real taste of KC. We're all pretty diverse and adventurous except for my brother who lives in Blue Springs. I took a chance and made reservations at Garazzo's... does anyone know if the Lee's Summit location is worth saving the miles? vs the downtown location?

Looking forward to the visit, thanks for any help!

kansas city
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family get-together over Christmas, ideas?

The downtown Gorrozzo's has much more authentic italian atmosphere

Plaze lights will be on- alot of nice places to eat on the plaza

lots of ethnic places around

Kansas City, MO
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Family get-together over Christmas, ideas?

I don't know the dates that you'll be here, but some of the things I'd recommend include:

1. The new World War I Museum (down by Crown Center and Union Station)

2. The Truman Presidential Library (Independence)

3. The Plaza Lights

4. If you like good bar-b-que, I'd try Fiorella's Jack Stack's on the Plaza and Oklahoma Joe's.

5. Ice skating at Crown Center

There are also all kinds of holiday events going on from now through Christmas-check http://www.kansascity.com/ and go to the Calendar link for a list of events.

Mentioned in this post
Crown Center
Crown Center
512 Reviews
Kansas City, MO
Union Station
Union Station
2,018 Reviews
Kansas City, MO
Estes Park, Colorado
Level Contributor
622 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family get-together over Christmas, ideas?

6. Union Station near the Crown Center complex. The Mayors Christmas tree is on display near the Ice Terrace. (Across from the WWI monument & museum.

7. Jack Stack BBQ and/or Lidia's Italian Restaurant in the Freight House District behind Union Station.

Mentioned in this post
Union Station
Union Station
2,018 Reviews
Kansas City, MO
Crown Center
Crown Center
512 Reviews
Kansas City, MO
Lidia's Restaurant
Lidia's Restaurant
940 Reviews
Kansas City, MO
Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
828 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family get-together over Christmas, ideas?

if you are heading to independence ck out their web site www.ci.independence.mo/us/tourism as they have several beautiful homes you can tour that are decked out for christmas...lovely!!

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family get-together over Christmas, ideas?

If you're looking for ethnic food, Korma Sutra in Westport had great Indian food. The Thai Place (yes, that's it's actual name) in Westport or Arun Thai Place at 8th and Walnut both have good Thai food. Blue Koi on 39th Street between State Line and Bell has great dumplings. There are lots of great Mexican restaurants on Southwest Boulevard downtown - my favories are Sol Azteca and Manny's. None of these are very expensive.

If you're here on the first Friday of any month and it's fairly nice outside, I'd check out the art galleries in the Crossroads district. They all open to the public and it's great fun to stroll around downtown and watch the people and the art.

The Legends in Kansas City, Kansas is also fun. You can see a movie, shop, play games at Dave & Buster's, or see the wildlife display at Cabela's and there are lots of good restaurants there.

Mentioned in this post
Korma Sutra
Korma Sutra
250 Reviews
Overland Park, KS
6. Re: Family get-together over Christmas, ideas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 09:23