We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay & eat, what to do in late Jan.

Ellicott City, MD
4 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay & eat, what to do in late Jan.

We have a 2-day business meeting planned for late January (Sunday-Tuesday). We will be either downtown (Pershing Square) or in Overland Park. I'm looking for suggestions on where to stay and where to eat, including at least one great place for jazz/blues and BBQ (could be two different places or one that does both).

Thoughts and suggestions? Thanks!

Ellicott City, MD
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay & eat, what to do in late Jan.

Okay, I've been doing my homework, and here's what I'm thinking. Sunday night, we'll have dinner at BB's Lawnside BBQ, and maybe head over to the 75th St. Brewery for the Brew Jam if we don't like the music at BB's. Monday night is dinner at Jack Stack at the Country Club Plaza.

Where I'm torn is whether to use the conference center in Overland Park and stay in that area, or use the conference center downtown and stay up at the Country Club Plaza. I'm using Hotwire either way, with a 3.5- or 4-star hotel, but the price difference is fairly significant. Is it worth the extra to stay in the Country Club Plaza area, especially if we're going to be eating there Monday night? (I'm assuming we'll probably need to rent a car either way, so parking may be an extra fee as well.)

Kansas City
Level Contributor
416 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay & eat, what to do in late Jan.

I think the answer to your question depends on what kind of surroundings you prefer. The Plaza is in the heart of the city and will definitely give you more of a feel for urban Kansas City. Overland Park, while nice, is a superb that can easily be found anywhere around the country. The travel times between the two can easily be a half hour so I think where your meetings are would also be a consideration.

Personally, I would suggest staying on the Plaza unless price was a major concern. And a rental car is a must for getting around KC.

Kansas City...
Destination Expert
for Kansas City
Level Contributor
541 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay & eat, what to do in late Jan.

I would suggest the Jack Stack in Martin City, it's on 131st and Holmes, very easy to get to, this is the orginal restaurant and much better then the Plaza location.

BB's might be hard to get to if you are not from around here, there is a huge road construction project on that street and it's very hard to get to it.

75th Street Brewery is a great choice and highly recommend it.

Country Club plaza is a very cool area and highly suggest staying there, Overland Park is one big Suburban Wasteland. You definetly need a car in this city because a cab from anywhere to the airport will cost you a car rental alone.

4. Re: Where to stay & eat, what to do in late Jan.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 04:15