We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Narrowing the BBQ

Which Kansas City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Algonquin, Illinois
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Topic
Narrowing the BBQ

Ok trip coming up in 2 weeks. I have the bbq joints down to:

Bryants on 18th- first possibly only time in KC figure have to try it. How is this location? Do they take ressies?

Gates on Main--how is this location, do they take ressies?

Jack Stack on 22d--Close to where were staying downtown. How is this location, ressies??

LCs on Blue Pkwy--Kind of far out but well have a car. Ressies?

We will probably have to pick 2--lunch and dinner. Any thoughts on which would be better for either meal?

kansas city
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Narrowing the BBQ

i gotta laugh when i see you asked if bryants took ressies-no reservations are taken there. I love the food- you walk up to line to order off a menu board- this place is a joint-gotta try it! it is not in the best location- i would do this one for lunch

jack stack may be the only ones that takes a reservation, nicest one of the group- so if u do that one- pick it for dinner. will be the priceest

l like them all and everyone has thier own BBQ opinion

i would do bryants and gates for my 2

Kansas
Level Contributor
228 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Narrowing the BBQ

If was going to try 2, I'd go with Bryant's for lunch and Jack Stack for dinner. Gates is too similar to Bryant's (didn't Ollie steal Bryant's recipe?) to give a constrasting view. Plus, for some people Bryant's can be too much ... too much vinegar in the sauce, too much 'joint', etc. Jack Stack would balance it nicely, and does some good 'cue.

"Ressies" at Bryant's??? LOL I've had reservations about walking out to my car when I went there alone at night. Just get in line, AVIVA, and try to finish that brisket sandwich.

Missouri, USA
Level Contributor
131 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Narrowing the BBQ

My two favorites of those listed here are Arthur Bryants and LCs. IMHO - both are lunch time places. We also really like Oklahoma Joes - in Kansas. None of the above take reservations. Go hungry and enjoy!

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,788 posts
1,123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Narrowing the BBQ

okla joes is top notch, as is earl quicks. i was less than impressed with gates this past visit after worshiping the sauce for years. okla joes might be the best i have ever tasted. don't miss it!

Kansas City
Level Contributor
1,762 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Narrowing the BBQ

If a place takes reservations, it aint real que. Well, ok Jack Stack does have some good BBQ, but they are the execption.

Bryants is my favorite out of all of those listed.

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Narrowing the BBQ

Jack Stack (across tracks from Union Station) and Okie Joes..............as different as night and day, but really excellent que at both.

Stack is "fancy" (but not terribly expensive) and Okies is down and dirty. (miss the liquor store next door!)

enjoy.........tptr

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
334 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Narrowing the BBQ

Gates on Main is GREAT, as well as the one on The Paseo. The atmosphere really adds up to the bbq!

Lc's, well, that's top notch too! Unfortunately I stayed in KC only a copule of months, so I didn't get to try them all... :( Too bad...

Kansas City is really a lovely city!

8. Re: Narrowing the BBQ

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 17:18