We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chiefs tailgating and other questions.

Which Kansas City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
393 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Chiefs tailgating and other questions.

Coming to the Chiefs/Steelers game in November. Have the tickets and hotel reservations, now we are just nailing down some details. We want to take part in what we understand is the best tailgating in the NFL. What are the best lots to experience the fun? Are there some lots that sell out quickly? Any suggestions?

Also looking for restaurant suggestions. We like upscale pubs and microbrews. Considering 75th St Brewery. Anything else we should try?

Thanks. I'm sure I'll have more questions later.

kansas city
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chiefs tailgating and other questions.

Every lot has tailgaters. do you have a parking pass? that will dictate where you park

where are you staying? I am assuming you have a car?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
393 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chiefs tailgating and other questions.

We are staying at the Residence Inn Country Club Plaza, and we will have a car. We have tickets but no parking pass yet. How quickly should we be buying one?

missouri
Destination Expert
for Branson
Level Contributor
771 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chiefs tailgating and other questions.

I've only been to a few Chief's games, but I don't think you can 'request a specific lot' when you buy 'prepaid parking' for a single game. Like the other poster said, you'll find taligaters in every lot.

kansas city
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chiefs tailgating and other questions.

previous post is correct. you dont buy per the lot but if you have a parking pass they will direct you where to park- you dont need a parking- can pay $22 at the gate and park in grass lots- tailgates are everywhere- are you picking up food or cooking?

Kansas City, MO
Level Contributor
253 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chiefs tailgating and other questions.

The previous posters are correct about parking. There really is no need to buy a parking pass, just pay the $22 at the gate and find a spot. I always park in the grass, it's usually more lively and you don't have to move for any oncoming cars. I would suggest bringing meat, most people will let you use their grills. Or, you can go to Jack Stack BBQ on the Plaza and get a platter to bring to the game w/ you and I'm sure somebody will let you heat it up on their grill.

If you like upscale pubs and microbrews, they you'll like 75th Street Brewery. It's in a great district called Waldo. I'd also check out the Waldo Well and Kennedy's if you're over there, they ware within walking distance.

Down on the Plaza, there are several good bars. Reverse, Tom Fooleries, 810 Zone to name a few.

If you want to go downtown, there is the Power and Light District and they have the Gorden Bierch Brewery.

Any questions, just drop me a line.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
393 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chiefs tailgating and other questions.

Thanks for the responses! We are planning to bring our food and a grill to tailgate. I know KC is known for being friendly to visiting teams (yes, we are Steelers fans) and would be nice enough to let us grill, but I think we'll still bring a grill just in case. ;)

Thank you also for the restaurant recommendations. We are going to be there from Saturday thru Monday, so we'll probably check out them all!

kansas city
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chiefs tailgating and other questions.

We have season tickets and yes the fans are nice to opposing team fans with the exception of raider fans- i saw soooo many fights last year- it was crazy and stupid

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
393 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chiefs tailgating and other questions.

LOL!! Somehow I'm not surprised!

Kansas
Level Contributor
440 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chiefs tailgating and other questions.

With 20 plus years of tailgating experience at Arrowhead (and a number of other stadiums), I am certain you are in for a treat.

A few things to be aware of:

1- Stadium construction will impact the parking lots,

get there early- 9am is recommended. Pre-game

tailgating at Arrowhead tends to be more fun, at

least with the team struggling.

2- By getting there early and paying the $22 parking,

you'll have time/room to find a great spot and

position yourself for an easy exit. If you park

in the grass, it can turn to mud pretty

fast if its wet. We see a lot of visitors with

rental cars stuck every week the ground is soft.

Someone would help you out but its doesn't look

fun.

I think 75th St. is a great choice- not a chain. Are you planning to have Kansas City BBQ? A stop at Bryants pre or post game is a tradition many adhere to.

Have fun.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Chiefs tailgating and other questions.

It's an absolutely awesome experience. Hopefully the weather will be nice enough... you will be amazed by the smell in that area, there's nothing like it. I agree with the straight $22 and just finding a spot. Maybe locate your seats, and what gate you should go in, and park in a lot fairly close to that. I would agree that parking close to an exit road, or in the grass facing out on a road is a good idea, although parking in a lot amongst all the tailgaters is great, too. Just depends on how fast you need to get out of there. If you don't have to rush to leave, take your time, and not fight it.

Enjoy yourself, it's a great experience!