We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels near Greyhound bus depot

Which Kansas City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Queensland
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels near Greyhound bus depot

Could anyone advise any hotels near the bus depot please.

Kansas
Level Contributor
445 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels near Greyhound bus depot

I am not aware of any that I would recommend. The "old" bus station is/was being torn down. I searched Greyhound and it indicated the bus station is at 11th and Troost. This is not a tourist friendly part of town.

If you can check with your reservation agent and find out where you will be arriving in KC (in case I am wrong), I'll be happy to try to help. In meantime, plan on taking a cab (or local bus?) to a safe hotel.

Bus service in this part of the world is a curious combination of souls- not all bad but not all good, either.

Edited: 13 February 2010, 13:47
Queensland
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels near Greyhound bus depot

Thanks so much for your reply, I had a feeling the bus station would be in an unfriendly part of town. As I will now take a taxi, could you recommend a reasonably priced hotel in a safe part of town?

Kind Regards, Valui.

Kansas
Level Contributor
445 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels near Greyhound bus depot

Hi Valui,

Happy to help but can't make a really helpful suggestion without knowing what you would be happy with. Please let us know what you are looking for; budget range, amenities/ number of quality stars, etc???

For example, Are you in town for one night and need a cheap, safe place to stay or here for a week and want to be near transportation options???

Queensland
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels near Greyhound bus depot

Hi ,

Well be in town for two nights and have been looking at Hampton Inn Kansas City Liberty or something similar if closer to the bus. What do you think of that option? It's hard to tell when you don't know the city layout. Thanks very much for your help. We are an Aussie couple in our late sixties and want to see America by bus. It looks like being quite an adventure!

Kind Regards,

Valui.

Kansas
Level Contributor
445 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels near Greyhound bus depot

Okay Valui, thanks for helping me understand what your doing better and salute you.

A lot of American's never see our great country from the ground level. Kansas City is in what's known as "the fly-over zone) by our friends who see the us from airplane windows.

BTW, it would still be helpful to know your travel style/budget; cheap/bargain, modest/convenient or deluxe/luxury. This would help with suggestions for hotel, meals and other suggestions. For example, bus travel indicates a cheap travel form but I don't know if want to save money on transportation to afford save money to stay in nicer places.

I trust you understand bus travel in the US is a spartan, utilitarian way to go.

I've gone cross-country on the bus, I didn't find it unsafe but the buses aren't full of adventuresome tourist like yourself. Our long-haul buses tend to be full of riders traveling for family/other needs, often last-minute and often under some kind of stress (these are not relaxed, smiling tourists).

So, you are in town for two nights, I would a hotel in downtown KC, The Crown Center or The Country Club Plaza area and I would consider renting a car. Kansas City's public transportation network is barely adequate for residents and offers limited options for tourists. A rental car would open a world of options.

For example, the town of Liberty is a nice place but doesn't offer a lot of things to do and it's some distance from most other options.

As far as Hampton Inns in the US they tend to be a good value.

Things I would consider a must-do for tourist such as yourselves:

- Arabia Steamboat Museum (great family story and local history combo)

- Nelson Art Gallery/Kemper Museum; a recently opened collection of

Native American works are very impressive and free on Sundays!

-Harry Truman's Presidential Library; lots of WWII era "behind the scenes"

history of world events from the colorful president from nearby

Independence.

- Jazz music, a popular style of Jazz music has deep roots in Kansas City.

A number of venues around town offer some great music & history.

-Flint Hills; If you have a rental car, I would suggest a few hour drive to the

Kansas Flint Hills- very unique and picturesque.

I could go on but I think you'll be better served by a more informed voice. Please let me know a little bit more; budget travel style?, renting a car?, what do like to do? dining budget/preferences?, other cities being visited in US?, what city will you be coming from and going to after Kansas City?.....

Queensland
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels near Greyhound bus depot

Hi again,

We have travelled widely in Europe and driven there but are not enamoured of driving on the wrong side of the road( to us) so thought we would give that a miss this time,unless you think it is easier driving in USA.

We have mostly stayed in four star hotels except when a city is terribly expensive and then make do with a three star. Our reason for travelling on the bus is to see more of the genuine lifestyle of Americans and also maybe some scenery. We realise that the other travellers may not be happy tourists but really, we rarely go on those sort of touristy things and prefer to make our own way. Also, of course the bus is cheap!

We'll be flying in to LA, bus to Las Vegas, Denver,Kansas City, Chicago, Washington, New York, Boston,Buffalo and then flying back to LA for our return flight.We'll be taking about four weeks staying for a few days at each stop with most time in New York and Washington.

We like to visit any museums and galleries and also love to try the local food. We are not night people and usually stay put in the hotel after dinner, although I must say we are jazz fans. Many thanks for your suggestions on what to see. We are interested in the Harry Truman connection and the art gallery and museum you mention.

Kind regards, Valui

st. louis, missouri
Level Contributor
472 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels near Greyhound bus depot

I think you would really enjoy the Country Club Plaza area, where there are lots of restaurants, shops and that area alone has a lot of interesting sculptures, fountains and artwork. There is a websit, I don't know right off hand, but if you google Kansas City Country Club Plaza, it should pop up. This is also fairly close to the Nelson Atkins Museum, which is really a wonderful museum with some great works in it. Again, google Nelson Atkins and you would get more info. Just a thought, unless you are truly set on going by bus, the Amtrak train system in the U.S. could get you cross country and see those cities, and probably be a more enjoyable experience. Google Amtrak for routes and prices if interested. Just a thought. Good luck.

Kansas
Level Contributor
445 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels near Greyhound bus depot

First, I admire your spirit of adventure and would love you to see America and Kansas City in the best possible light and fashion. So..... that's why I'm worried about your plan. I've been to each city (except Buffalo) and driven the route your planning. It's ambitious and would expose you to a truly generous slice of America- part of me is jealous.

But, alas, I have concerns.

First, bus service in the U.S. is not like bus service in Europe. Here is a link to 5 reviews and I'm afraid they represent the tip of the iceberg:

helium.com/knowledge/34372-traveling-with-gr…

These reviews are somewhat dated and there's no independent confirmation they are true but they fairly accurately represent the sentiments of travels that can afford another option. I've ridden Greyhound once and the bus broke down (St. Louis to Chicago route). It was night and it took nearly four hours to get a replacement bus out to help us while we were stranded in the cold.

Also, the US system of Interstate Highways tends to provide very boring scenery, most are lined with ugly billboards and dotted with cheap service stops. The major highways offer very few opportunities to see something spectacular out the window.

I might suggest you consider traveling by rail for the itinerary you list- and I almost never suggest our rail system, Amtrak.

I'm not going to advise that you drive or don't drive; that's too personal of a choice and affects too many aspects of a holiday.

Finally, every city on your list has a fair to good public transportation system- except my hometown of Kansas City. I would suggest (and this hurts ;), that you consider St. Louis instead. If you choose to drive your own rental car, Kansas City is great and offers an international tourist things that few other cities do. That said, if you are reliant on public transport, St. Louis has a far better system- well, it has a system- which makes it better.

St. Louis also has the famous Gateway Arch- an international symbol of middle-America. So you know, there is a friendly rivalry (not always so friendly for some) between KC and St. Louis, which makes this paragraph so much harder for me to write. To wrap up on St. Louis, other things it offers; great riverfront park open to public, legendary baseball team with a gleaming new stadium (in the downtown), culturally varied and unique neighborhoods- most with great restaurants, a huge park with good science center and a free zoo (not a great zoo but a free zoo).

And- St. Louis is the original home of Budweiser beer in America (the true original being in the Czech Republic). They have a great brewery tour and have been a very strong supporter of the St. Louis community.

Do some more research on bus travel in the US, I don't want to unduly dissuade you from something you have your heart set on but I want you to be fully informed.

I'll be happy to help more, if I can. Good luck.

Queensland
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels near Greyhound bus depot

Oh Oh!! I have checked out the web site about Greyhound and am now thinking twice. I will now check out Amtrak and if they go to the same places,it seems like a better option.

The Country Club Plaza area sounds great so that has solved one problem, thank you.

Valui.

kansas city
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotels near Greyhound bus depot

Amtrack would be my choice over the bus