We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best mid-$ Plaza restaurants for department's team dinner

Which Kansas City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Belton, Missouri
5 posts
Save Topic
Best mid-$ Plaza restaurants for department's team dinner

Our team of 14 (20's to 50's) is staying on the Plaza the end of October and going to dinner after meeting all day. We're thinking of Jack Stack's BBQ but team is from Oklahoma and Texas where BBQ is standard fare. Trying to think of something different that still let's us interact.

Last year we went to Power & Light so we were wanting to stay around the Plaza. Any suggestions...

Liberty, Missouri
Level Contributor
108 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best mid-$ Plaza restaurants for department's team dinner

You might try Bravo over by the movie theaters on Nichols Road. Italian fare. It's a chain, but well executed. They have private rooms upstairs. I think they charge for those, but you might be able to talk them into giving you the room without charge if you can convince them you will bring them a dozen customers they won't get otherwise and will take a large table out of their main dining area. If you get a private room and wanted to be sure to stay within a budget, you might be able to have them pre-select menu items to choose from.

If you don't mind driving, you could consider Houlihan's in Fairway. That's only about three miles west of the Plaza. Also, if you are willing to drive a short distance or take cabs, you could consider Accurso's on Main Street at about 49th or so. It's locally owned Italian in a new space. Across the street is Jack Gage's Tavern, a new restaurant that has done well and would be in a similar price range. It's not just a bar--kind of like Houlihan's of Houston's. Both of these are on Main Street a short drive (but probably too far to walk) south of the Plaza. If you want to go the Chinese route, there's Bo Ling's in the Board of Trade Building just south of the Plaza, also at Main Street and close to the tennis courts. And speaking of Houston's, there is a Houston's restaurant on the Plaza. It is another chain that does a good job.

If it were me, I'd probably consider Jack Gage's or Accurso's and possibly Bravo if I didn't want to drive or if I wanted a private room.

Salem, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
794 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best mid-$ Plaza restaurants for department's team dinner

A couple more chain options at the Plaza would be PF Chang's and Cheesecake Factory.

Here's a link to the restaurants on the plaza:

http://www.countryclubplaza.com/Restaurants

Some restaurants that I think would fit your needs:

M&S Grill - American

Figlio's - Italian

Tomfoolerie's

Hibachi Japanese Steakhouse

From the link you can get to the website of most of the restaurants which should help you pick a price range and make reservations.

One other note - Bravo mentioned by TravelerKC is actually Brio. They are the same chain, though.

Michelle

KCK
Level Contributor
864 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best mid-$ Plaza restaurants for department's team dinner

Different, fun and reasonably priced would be O'Dowds Little Dublin.

Jack Stack might actually work for you, KC bbq is different from Texas and Oklahoma. They might enjoy the comparison.

Kansas City...
Destination Expert
for Kansas City
Level Contributor
529 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best mid-$ Plaza restaurants for department's team dinner

Blanc Burger + Bottles might be refreshing, it's an upscale burger place and they recently just broke the record for most groupons sold in a Medium Size City. They even have a little room for groups of people in the back. You might need to reserve it. It's really in the heart of the plaza.

The BLVD Beer Onion Rings are awesome.

Fred P Ott's is decent but more of an applebee's type place.

Grand Street Cafe and Cafe Trio are both locally owned great restaurants on the east side of the plaza but might be out of your price range, it's a little on the fancy side but jeans are ok.

Edited: 22 September 2010, 22:17
Kansas City...
Destination Expert
for Kansas City
Level Contributor
529 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best mid-$ Plaza restaurants for department's team dinner

Another Fun place might be Jazz Louisiana Kitchen on 39th Street. Depending on what day you go, they have a live band that plays and the food is really well priced.

Belton, Missouri
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best mid-$ Plaza restaurants for department's team dinner

Thanks for all the suggestions - I should have put in a price range when I first posted. Went to Plaza yesterday and looked around Jack Stack's, Melting Pot, and Buca di Beppo. Going to take your comments to our team and see what they think about checking any more out. Buca's had a private room with a round table, which would be great since people tend to sit next to the same person. Any thoughts about these 3?

Thanks again, Lisa

Belton, Missouri
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best mid-$ Plaza restaurants for department's team dinner

And I still forgot $ - probably $15 - $30 plus drinks per person.

Salem, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
794 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best mid-$ Plaza restaurants for department's team dinner

I would probably prefer the Melting Pot. Fondue is something that people don't often think about.

Liberty, Missouri
Level Contributor
108 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best mid-$ Plaza restaurants for department's team dinner

People like Buca di Bepo for parties and groups. That room with the round table is the room they call the Pope's Room. One advantage to Buca di Bepo is that the portions are really large, so you can order and serve the entrees family style. With a large group, order collectively and less than one per person, plus a salad. That will help you stay on budget.

KCK
Level Contributor
864 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best mid-$ Plaza restaurants for department's team dinner

For a group dinner, I think Buca would work best.