We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Overland Park

São Paulo
Level Contributor
43 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in Overland Park

I am staying in Overland Park for 5 days for a conference in July and I plan to spend 4 or 5 more days in the area, specially Kansas City. I wonder if it would be okay to stay in Overland and day travel to Kansas City as I'll rent a car. I got a great deal for the hotel and would love not to change hotels. Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Overland
Overland
Saint Louis, MO
Olathe, Kansas
Level Contributor
20 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Overland Park

Hi! Overland Park is a great area. It's clean and safe and easily assessable. You will be about a 15-45 minute drive from just about everything. If you want to go to a Royals game which is on the Missouri side, it will be about 30 minutes to Kauffman Stadium. You'll be about 30 minutes from the Plaza area and downtown (Power and Light District). It'll take you about 20 minutes to get to the Legends, which is a big shopping/eating area on the Kansas side. There are lots of fun restaurant/bars in that area, as well as the T-Bones minor league bball. Since you'll be in Overland Park, you'll be extremely close to lots of great restaurants. Sullivan's Steakhouse, The Bristol, Cheesecake Factory, etc. If you're a sports fan, there's the 810 Zone by Town Center Plaza. There are many theaters nearby too. O.P. is a great location. Hope that helps! Enjoy your time here!

Mentioned in this post
Missouri
Missouri
United States
Kauffman Stadium
Kauffman Stadium
2,178 Reviews
Kansas City, MO
Kansas
Kansas
United States
Bristol
Bristol
England, UK
The Cheesecake Factory
The Cheesecake Factory
584 Reviews
Kansas City, MO
Webb City MO
Level Contributor
464 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Overland Park

I totally agree with msbellamy! Whenever we travel to KC, we stay in Overland Park. It's a very nice area and not too far from anything you might like to do. I think that you will not be disappointed.

São Paulo
Level Contributor
43 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Overland Park

Thank you so much! This is all very helpful!

Salem, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
794 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Overland Park

I agree with everyone - OP is a really nice place. That said, you might enjoy changing just once to a hotel in th Country Club Plaza area. It's really very nice and will give you a better taste of KC's "flavors". Check the Raphael for any special packages that might be available during your stay.

Michelle

Mentioned in this post
Country Club Plaza
Country Club Plaza
1,741 Reviews
Kansas City, MO
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
76 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Overland Park

Since you have a car, Overland Park is a great location. The Kansas City area is very drivable and you'll be able to get anywhere within about 20-30 minutes. If you like mexican food head down to Southwest Boulevard to Ponak's, Taqueria Mexico, Manny's or El Patron. For fun outlet shopping head to The Legend's area at I-435 and State Avenue. The Sporting KC soccer stadium should be open by then, and the Kansas Speedway is just across the street. If you like electronics you can stop by Nebraska Furniture Mart, just because it's so massive.

The Power and Light District near the Sprint Center (downtown KC, MO) has some fun night life, and the Sprint Center has a basketball experience thing located there. The Westport area is fun for walking around on a nice day (or for night life) and from Overland Park you're just about 35 minutes away from the greatest city in the whole state (Lawrence, KS). Lots of great restaurants downtown and the University of Kansas campus is beautiful. Stop in to Allen Fieldhouse and see the 2008 National Championship trophy.

Mentioned in this post
Taqueria Mexico
Taqueria Mexico
38 Reviews
Kansas City, MO
El Patron
El Patron
95 Reviews
Kansas City, MO
Sprint Center
Sprint Center
342 Reviews
Kansas City, MO
Westport
Westport
198 Reviews
Kansas City, MO
Kansas
Kansas
United States
Kansas City
Level Contributor
100 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in Overland Park

Also, check out Town Center Plaza and Park Place (both are located around 119th, between Roe and Nall). There are some nice spots at Park Place to eat outside - very nice atmosphere. There are some great restaurants there and it is a nice place to walk around and shop a bit, if you are looking for something to do. There is also a movie theatre right there.

Whatever you do, don't miss going down to the Plaza - it is Kansas City's gem!

Saint Louis...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in Overland Park

Cab fare from Overland Park to Union Station in Kansas City, MO reasonable? Thanks for any help!

Mentioned in this post
Union Station
Union Station
2,019 Reviews
Kansas City, MO
Salem, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
794 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying in Overland Park

Cab fare would be pretty expensive. I recommend renting a car for the day. Try Enterprise.

Michelle

São Paulo
Level Contributor
43 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying in Overland Park

Wow! Thanks again, guys! Loved the suggestions!

10. Re: Staying in Overland Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 18:15