We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plaza Restaurant Questions

Which Kansas City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Worth
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Plaza Restaurant Questions

I'm planning a weekend in the Plaza for 16 thirty-ish women in early April. I'm looking for dinner choices for Friday and Saturday that have a FUN atmosphere, good drinks, and REALLY good food. Nothing stuffy and no Mexican. I was looking at Brio and Kona, but am not sure.

1. What are the two restaurants in the Plaza we should choose for our dinners?

2. Are there no bbq restaurants in the Plaza? If not, is there one close by that we could try for lunch?

Kansas City
Level Contributor
416 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plaza Restaurant Questions

Both are excellent choices and are very popular. Sounds like just what you are looking for. Brio has a very popular bar upstairs and Kona is always packed on the weekends. Expect big crowds.

For a nice BBQ lunch I would highly reccomend Fiorella's Jack Stack BBQ. Its an easy 10 minute drive from the Plaza. The resteraunt is located in an old Railroad Freighthouse that houses two other great resteraunts. (Lidia's and City Tavern) A little hard to find, but mapquest can get you there. Here is their website. . .

http://www.jackstackbbq.com/

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Plaza Restaurant Questions

As a previous member suggested, Jack Stack is an excellent place for BBQ. I might also recommend KC Masterpiece BBQ restaurant. They no longer have a location in the Plaza area, but your hotel should be able to give you directions to their nearest location. I'm sure it would be well worth your trip!

Kansas City, MO
Level Contributor
439 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Plaza Restaurant Questions

Definately sounds like Kona Grill would be a great place for your gathering. If you want a fun bar scene and laid back you might try Granfallon. Brio is also very very good!

Gates is not too far from the plaza and would be a great lunch!

Level Contributor
13 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Plaza Restaurant Questions

KC Masterpiece restaurants have gone out of business. Gates is a classic Kansas City barbecue restaurant about one mile east of the Plaza. Several miles away at 18th and Brooklyn is Arthur Bryants, the ultimate barbecue restaurant in KC and the most famous restaurant in town. I'd really try to go there. Brio's has a party room you can reserve upstairs, which would be good for a group your size. The M & S Grill which opened on the east side of the Plaza last year is good and would be able to accomodate a group your size. Kona Grill may be hard for a group like yours to get into. McCormick and Schmicks, a seafood restaurant, could probably handle a large group and it's very classy. BigRedJohn.

Kansas City
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Plaza Restaurant Questions

Call Pierpont's in Union Station - the food is incredible, the service is top notch and the atmosphere is perfection. The restaurant is an easy 10 minute drive from the plaza. They have several private rooms in the basement (wine cellar style). Pierpont's is owned by the same people who run The Hereford House so you know the food is good. Pierpont's, however is like The Hereford House x 10. It's my favorite restaurant in KC - bar none.

Here is the link: http://www.herefordhouse.com/ppdefault.htm

Have fun and enjoy KC!

Kansas City, MO
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Plaza Restaurant Questions

For BBQ, I would definitely choose Jack Stack in the Freight House district for the atmosphere over the others mentioned by others.

As for Brio and Kona, they'll be a fun atmosphere. They're both chain restaurants and I would say the food is good, but not fabulous. I think they're a pretty good choice for a large group. (I would put P.F. Chang's in the same category--also a chain.) The Capital Grille is another chain on the Plaza you could consider.