We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short trip to Kansas City, where to stay, what to see

Which Kansas City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
116 posts
200 reviews
Save Topic
Short trip to Kansas City, where to stay, what to see

We are 2 seniors who are planning to have 2 full days to spend in KC. We want to see the WW 1 museum, Hallmark Card Center, Harry Truman Library. Is it possible to see these attractoins in the time we have and are there any other must see attractions that would fit in the time schedule? It will be the beginning of October when we arrive.

In looking on this site, the price range and rating of the Hampton Inn, Liberty seemed to have high ratings at a reasonable price, is this location convenient to the attractions we want to visit or are there better selections?

Also is there something like a Greyline tour of the Kansas City area?

Thank you for your help

KCMO
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short trip to Kansas City, where to stay, what to see

Two full days is plenty to do those three items. The Kansas City Art Museum is not far from the WW1 Museum and Union Station is right across from it. As for suggestion hotels I would probably pick on around Royals/Arrowhead stadium for a central location. Or maybe look for some in Independence. Liberty is quite a bit north of the areas you are looking at.

Chicago
Level Contributor
228 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short trip to Kansas City, where to stay, what to see

The World War I Museum is well worth the visit. If you are planning to see that and the Hallmark Center, why not stay at a hotel in Crown Center? You could walk to two of your three planned destinations and drive to any other interesting sites you choose.

Salem, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
794 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short trip to Kansas City, where to stay, what to see

For two mobile seniors, I think your plans are fine. The WWI/Liberty Memorial is something you will truly appreciate. The Hallmark Center and Union Station are connected with a covered walkover and you'll appreciate both of these.

The Truman Library is in Independence about 20 minutes away. Be sure to have lunch or dinner somewhere on Independence Square - maybe Cafe Verona (our favorite) before or after visiting the library.

As for a hotel, I do NOT advise anything near the stadiums. Those hotels are older and there is nothing around them that a senior would appreciate, in my opinion. My first choice for you, and as Sola7 suggested, would be the hotels right at Crown Center (Westin or Hyatt) or one of the hotels off I-70 and Little Blue Parkway (near Independence Center Mall and lots of chain restaurants). You could also stay at a hotel on Country Club Plaza with lots of shopping and dining options. The Raphael is a boutique hotel and is very, very nice.

Michelle

KCMO
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short trip to Kansas City, where to stay, what to see

The hotels in the Plaza/Crown Center area would be way more then the Hampton in Liberty. I was trying to give the poster a hotel option with similar pricing that would be in between their two main attractions. I would probably pick a hotel along 291 or 70 in Independence/Lee's Summit area if I was looking for something comparable price to the Hampton in Liberty. But those are not as close to the WW1 museum.

Big Buster if you are a Truman fan, there is also a Truman Farm in Grandview MO.

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
116 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short trip to Kansas City, where to stay, what to see

The reviews of the Fairfied Inn, Union Hill seem to be decent, is this in a decent neighborhodd and near some of the sites I want to see, namely the WWi museum, Hallmark Cards, Arabia Steamboat. I realize that I will have to drive to the Truman Library.

Thanks

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Short trip to Kansas City, where to stay, what to see

Stay downtown or the plaza.

Liberty is probably a 20 minute drive to attractions, but I'd choose it over anything by the stadiums.

Make sure you have KC BBQ while you are here, the plaza, and steamboat arabia museum in the river market. If it's on the weekend the city market is pretty fun to...

KCK
Level Contributor
864 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Short trip to Kansas City, where to stay, what to see

If price is not a big issue, I would stay at one of the Crown Center hotels.

If it is, the Fairfield looks fine from the outside. Really it is an ok area. I wouldn't probably walk around a lot at night, but I would say that about a lot of areas.

8. Re: Short trip to Kansas City, where to stay, what to see

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 22:24