We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mom dad & Teenage son-Anything out of the norm to see or do?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
783 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Mom dad & Teenage son-Anything out of the norm to see or do?

We usually try to go to a different city to see an N.F.L. game once a season. This season is Kansas city.

What we would like to know is what can we see or do that is unique to Kansas city?

Any recommendations ?

Eating: Any famous B.B.Q. places that are must eat at? (I'm a foodie!)

Where in Kasas city should we stay? Not familiar at all with the city and we would like to be in the middle of things and places we can walk to?

Any suggestions are appreciated!!

Thanks

Edited: 19 April 2012, 16:21
Lees Summit
Level Contributor
23 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mom dad & Teenage son-Anything out of the norm to see or do?

You'll find lots of BBQ recommendations in the forums but I will give you my opinion. For a great sit down meal I prefer Jack Stack. For the best BBQ in KC I would go to Oklahoma Joe's.

Where to stay depends a lot on what you choose to do. The Plaza area is the most popular generally. It is a shopping district. Other options include Westport (more of the bar scene), and Power and Light (a newer entertainment district). None of these are close to the stadium but there is not much to do in the stadium area.

Other things to do:

I recommend the WWI museum and Steamboat Arabia for more cultural/educational options.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
783 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mom dad & Teenage son-Anything out of the norm to see or do?

Thank you

Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mom dad & Teenage son-Anything out of the norm to see or do?

Best BBQ in town is LC's which is pretty close to the stadium. It closes at 5 on Sunday, so you have to hustle over after a 1:00 game.

missouri
Destination Expert
for Branson
Level Contributor
780 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mom dad & Teenage son-Anything out of the norm to see or do?

Definitely check out the Steamboat Arabia (located in the City Market Area). Would recommend staying on the Plaza, lots of 'stuff' within walking distance there!

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,813 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mom dad & Teenage son-Anything out of the norm to see or do?

LC's and Danny Edwards Boulevard BBQ would be my choices for top BBQ in town, but Oklahome Joe's & Jack Stack are good as well. OKJoe;s usually has a long line, so I only go there if I am not eating at a normal meal time. Boulevard has the disadvantage of only being open for lunch.

Arthur Bryant's is the best known and still good. Smokin' Guns is another good up and coming place.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
142 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mom dad & Teenage son-Anything out of the norm to see or do?

Everything around Kansas City is spread out. Plan on doing lots of driving. The Negro Leagues Baseball Museum is worth a visit IMO. Get to the game early so you can experience Kansas City tailgating!

Kansas City, MO
Level Contributor
253 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mom dad & Teenage son-Anything out of the norm to see or do?

As far as BBQ goes, everyone has different opinions. But, hands down the best you'll get in the city is Oklahoma Joe's. If you watched No Reservations when Anthony Bourdain was in KC, this is one of his favorite places on the planet. In fact, he has it on his list of places to eat before you die. Danny Edwards is also good and LC's gets a nod as well.

There are other great restaurants in KC like Le Fou Frog, Room 39, the Rieger Hotel and Exchange, Extra Virgin, and Westside Local to name a few.

For family purposes, I'd stay at The Raphael on the Plaza. There is shopping, bars and restaurants right outside your door. If you like the downtown vibe, try The Hilton President.

Kansas City...
Destination Expert
for Kansas City
Level Contributor
573 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mom dad & Teenage son-Anything out of the norm to see or do?

Depending on what weekend you will be here, you might be in town for the American Royal. The American Royal is an annual eight-week season of barbecue competition, rodeos, livestock shows, equestrian events and agricultural activities benefiting youth and education

http://www.americanroyal.com/

I would also check out the Nelson Atkins Museum of Art, it's a really nice Art Museum plus its free if you don't like it. The outdoor art is worth it.

Your teenage son might like this burger joint called Fritzs, they bring your food to you on a train. Grinders is another decent place that has pretty good pizza.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
26 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mom dad & Teenage son-Anything out of the norm to see or do?

Are you upscale? Stay on The Plaza

Do you want a downtown feel? Stay downtown and check out power and light district and city market.

Are you hip and eclectic/ artsy? Stay in Westport

Do you like the suburbia feel with lots of stores and chain restaurants... Stay at Legends/ Speedway

Kansas City, MO
Level Contributor
4 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mom dad & Teenage son-Anything out of the norm to see or do?

IMO, jack Stack's in the freight house shops is best, most comfortable. OK Joe's and Arthur Bryant's are vastly overrated and a hassle to eat at--long lines, hard to find tables, etc.

Don't overlook the WWI Museum at the Liberty Memorial. Expect to spend several hours. A new exhibit that just opened relates to the Interallied Games that took place in Paris in 1919. Lots of vintage sports equipment and information. Sports fans are loving this exhibit.

Get answers to your questions about Kansas City
Recent Conversations