We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to avoid a traffic madness on weekend?

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
How to avoid a traffic madness on weekend?

in a few days I'm driving east from CO on I-70 and it looks like I'll be in the Kansas City area on Saturday or Sunday around noon. The last time we drove from Lincoln, NE on Sunday there was some kind of game and the closer we got the stadium a traffic became a little insane with no one seemed to know what lane to take to get to the stadium. It was absolutely a nightmare for us who wanted to drive through. If there is a game on May 5 or 6 can anyone suggest a route to take to bypass a traffic madness heading to the stadium? Thank you for any help you're able to provide.

Places

Mentioned in this post
Lincoln
Lincoln
Nebraska
Webb City MO
Level Contributor
464 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to avoid a traffic madness on weekend?

Looks like there are Royals games on both days. Saturday the game starts at 610 pm and at 110pm on Sunday.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,991 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to avoid a traffic madness on weekend?

Ways to avoid that traffic on I-70 take so much longer, that you might as well stay on 70.

Salem, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
794 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to avoid a traffic madness on weekend?

Just stay in the left lane and breeze on by as best you can. There really is no reasonable alternative. The Royals are playing the Yankees and those games always bring out the crowds, so the earlier you come through the area, the better.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to avoid a traffic madness on weekend?

Thank you for great and very helpful information. I have to remember to stay in the left lane. If we can make it on Saturday then won't have to worry about a ball game traffic around noon. The Yankees are coming!!

Kansas City...
Destination Expert
for Kansas City
Level Contributor
594 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to avoid a traffic madness on weekend?

If you are just passing through KC you could take 435 south over by the Kansas Speedway and on the missouri side take 470 and catch I-70 again bypassing downtown, and the stadium. It might be a little bit longer but it would be 65 the whole length. Parts of 435 by overland park/lenexa could be under construction so I dont know if this is any better but this would avoid any potential traffic downtown or by the stadium bypass slow/old interstate.

Mentioned in this post
Kansas Speedway
Kansas Speedway
251 Reviews
Kansas City, KS
Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,991 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to avoid a traffic madness on weekend?

I-435 adds 13 miles to the drive and weekend construction could make it much worse.

7. Re: How to avoid a traffic madness on weekend?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 06:40