We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip for two adults to KC July 6-9...need recommendations

Which Kansas City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
West Des Moines...
5 posts
Save Topic
Trip for two adults to KC July 6-9...need recommendations

We visit Kansas City a few times a year, but this time we won't have a 13-year-old along! So we want to do stuff we can't do when he's with us. We are staying at the Q Hotel near Westport. A bonus is they have a shuttle that will take us to the Plaza, downtown (3 mile radius of hotel), so then we don't have to worry about parking. We're willing to drive to other parts of the city though.

* My husband would like to listen to live blues or jazz somewhere in the evenings. I like live music (though not blues or jazz so much), but don't see a lot on event calendars for this Sat-Tues.

* I'd like to go to a piano bar or a comedy club. I am 49 and he's 69, so we're not looking for a place full of 20-somethings!

* I'm a shopper...usually end up at malls in Overland Park. But looking for an area or two of unique shops. Ideas?

* May go to the Art Museum, WW1 Museum, Negro Leagues Museum.

* We've been to BBQ places. Might try a Brazilian Steakhouse or someplace where the kid would never want to go. Not super pricey, just nice and different. Suggestions?

Open to recommendations from locals. Thanks so much.

Apple Valley...
Level Contributor
684 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip for two adults to KC July 6-9...need recommendations

Plaza obviously and the Crossroads Art district. Maybe Zona Rosa as well for shopping areas. They also have the Improv Comedy Club it says. Power & Light district has live music but may be the younger crowd from my experiences.

I googled Brazilian Steakhouse for KC and found on the Plaza there is Fogo de Chao. Might want to check their website as well.

Independence...
Level Contributor
131 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip for two adults to KC July 6-9...need recommendations

One place you might try for live music is the Phoenix. They usually have good music, and it's a nice venue.

Regarding shopping, I find that the small downtown areas around the metro have the most unique shops. Check out places like downtown Overland Park, Independence, Lee's Summit (which has an outdoor mall similar to Zona Rosa, as well as a cute downtown), and if you don't mind a bit of a drive, Weston has a lot of cute little places. You can combine some attractions, like downtown Independence and the Truman Library. Weston can be combined with a trip to Zona Rosa, which is really just another shopping mall, and a Brazilian steak house (which I've been to; it was good, but a LOT of meat), Em Chamas.

If you tell me a bit more about what you and your husband like to eat, I can give you suggestions. We have a wealth of choices in Kansas City right now. It's almost impossible to get a bad meal at most of our locally-owned restaurants. So you might want to indicate if you like pub, New American, upscale, down home, ethnic, farm to table, etc. Really, it's not just about steak, BBQ, and chain restaurants around here anymore.

3. Re: Trip for two adults to KC July 6-9...need recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2014, 06:19