We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Off the beaten path idea for a long weekend in KC?

Newton, Iowa
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Off the beaten path idea for a long weekend in KC?

My girlfriend and I are planning a weekend trip to KC over Labor Day weekend. We'll get in Friday evening and leave sometime Monday. Are there any cool things that KC has to offer that might be unknown to most outsiders?

We plan on going to a KC sporting soccer match Saturday evening and I'm interested in checking out the Alamo theater. We both enjoy BBQ and I've read there are some tours you can take to try different restaruants in an afternoon.

Any nightlife suggests would also would be great!

All the best!

Mitch

Apple Valley...
Level Contributor
798 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Off the beaten path idea for a long weekend in KC?

Here is a copy of the information posted back in May (not by me):

There is a culinary walking tour that is just a few blocks south of the P&L district that my wife and I took. It takes you to 6 diffrent locally owned restaurants and you sample different items at each location. Highly recommend this for anyone visiting KC or even as locals. You might want to check it out as you will get lots of locally owned options to dine at.

www.tasteofkansascityfoodtours.com

Apple Valley...
Level Contributor
798 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Off the beaten path idea for a long weekend in KC?

I think it would help if we know what stuff you have already done in KC in order to suggest other stuff. Have you done the Harley Davidson tour? Boulevard Brewery? The Roasterie Coffee? Have you ventured out of the main area to Independence and the Truman Library? Powell Gardens? Maybe Labor Day you can go over to KCK and do the Renaissance Faire?

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Off the beaten path idea for a long weekend in KC?

My college-age daughter and I just spent the weekend visiting my son who is currently interning for Sporting KC. I have no ideas for little known activities as it was my first time there. We shopped. However, the soccer game was definitely the highlight of the weekend. It was great! You will not find more enthusiastic fans anywhere. The stadium is beautiful. I love soccer, but it was my daughter's first game and she is hooked. SO much fun. Have a great time!

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Off the beaten path idea for a long weekend in KC?

Offbeat. Check out Leila's Hair Museum in Independence. All things made of human hair. Weird but fascinating.

The Glore Psychiatric Museum in St. Joseph, about 75 minutes north of Kansas City, is on the grounds of the old insane asylum. Very weird, but fascinating.

The Boulevard Brewery tour is good, as is the Roasterie Tour.

The Harley Davidson plant north of the river did have a tour of the production line.

The Strawberry Hill Museum, just across the state line in Kansas City, Kansas, is a nice little museum about the many Eastern European immigrants who settled in KCK to work in the stockyards and meat packing houses.

Mentioned in this post
Overland Park...
Level Contributor
6 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Off the beaten path idea for a long weekend in KC?

The Irish Fest will be going on over Labor Day weekend. Very fun! You will love going out to a SKC game! Bier station in the Waldo area is a fun place inspired by the beer gardens in Munich. National Airline History Museum. Boulevard tour is not off beaten path, but highly recommend it and it is free (get there when they open to secure passes or if sold out when you get there ask to go on wait list- decent chance will get on your this way). Union Station has a Pirates exhibit- again not off beaten path, but not something you can do everytime you are in KC. Federal Reserve Bank offers tours- book ahead of time. Oklahoma Joe's or Jack Stack for BBQ are my favorites.

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Union Station
Union Station
2,019 Reviews
Kansas City, MO
Lincoln, NE
Level Contributor
189 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Off the beaten path idea for a long weekend in KC?

Our last trip to KC, we went to Manifesto. It's an old speakeasy in the basement of a restaurant. It was a neat experience and they had great cocktails.

Kansas
Level Contributor
169 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Off the beaten path idea for a long weekend in KC?

I agree Manifesto is cool for a speakeasy experience. You have to go in the back alley to a basement hidden bar. Drinks are hand crafted cocktails and excellent but pricey. The Steamboat Arabia Museum is one of the best things to see in KC. The river had many shipwrecks in the old days and has since shifted and the steamboat was excavated from farmland that used to be under the river. The items on board that were heading to KC and the West were preserved in the mud and cleaned up and on display. A rare museum if you like that kind of thing. If you have not been to Cabelas and like sporting goods - it is a huge place with taxidermy animals on display and live fish in large fish tanks. KS Speedway is by Cabelas too. They sometimes have ride alongs or Nascar driving experience on certain weekends. Pricey to drive on the track but the ride along is not as expensive. Jack Stack my favorite BBQ. I have seen the Pirates exhibit (in Chicago) and going to see it again at Union Station in KC. It is a good exhibit and if you have not seen Union Station it is neat to see and think about the old train travel days. (not much else to do there buy the Pirate exhibit though) Have fun

Mentioned in this post
Arabia Steamboat Museum
Arabia Steamboat Museum
1,788 Reviews
Kansas City, MO
Union Station
Union Station
2,019 Reviews
Kansas City, MO
leon, ia
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Off the beaten path idea for a long weekend in KC?

hit the presidental library in KC. not off the beaten track but gives you a fun educating place that shows the man behind the end of wwII. history district around the pony express musuem.

Independence, MO
Level Contributor
21 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Off the beaten path idea for a long weekend in KC?

Friday Night….go to P&L district when you get in town eat & drink

Saturday…Do the BBQ tour http://www.kcbarbecuetours.com/…then to soccer game

Sunday…(day) Santa-Cali-Gon Days Independence MO Square…http://www.santacaligon.com/

Monday….Before you go…Royals Baseball game at the “K” 1:10 game…you will be done by 4..

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Off the beaten path idea for a long weekend in KC?

Not sure if you are looking for anything to do at night... but on the 30th I will be DJ'ing all night on the back patio at the Union in Westport. It is house/dance music. It is ALWAYS packed. Decently priced drinks. It is definitely a dive bar, but it is voted the best bar in KC to dance. If you come go down the stairs and through the dark basement to the very back left corner and you will find a line of people going in and outside. :-) That is where I will be.

yelp.com/biz/the-union-of-westport-kansas-ci…

oh and I suggest to avoid the P&L... HORRIBLE TOP 40 MUSIC!

Edited: 15 August 2013, 03:41
Mentioned in this post
Westport
Westport
198 Reviews
Kansas City, MO