We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Nights in KC During a Conference

Which Kansas City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sioux Falls, South...
Level Contributor
230 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
3 Nights in KC During a Conference

I'll be coming on my first trip to your city this summer for a conference, and my girlfriend is coming along as my guest (her first time there as well). We are a young couple in our upper 20's. I'll probably be kept very busy and will only be available to get away from the conference for 2-3 hours on each of 2 of the evenings. My girlfriend will be a little more free to duck in and out of the conference as she chooses during the daytime.

We want to see what we can of your city in our limited free time together. We'll be staying at the Crowne Plaza downtown. We enjoy outdoor scenery and walks in the park together, are there any nice such areas near downtown? I am a big baseball fan, and would have definitely brought us to a night game at Kauffman but I see that the Royals are out of town that weekend. We enjoy trying local restaurants, any recommendations? I enjoy BBQ but my girlfriend has never been a fan of anything BBQ, please don't hold it against us haha. As long as there is something such as a non-BBQ steak on the menu, she would be fine with trying a BBQ restaurant if that is what's most recommended. Are there any recommended areas nearby for shopping if she gets bored with the conference? She prefers unique stores more than common chain stores or generic malls. If there is anything else we should visit with our limited down time please let me know, especially anything unique or that well represents the city of Kansas City. We will not have any rental car, so I assume transportation will be by foot or taxi. Thank you for any help or ideas!

KCK
Level Contributor
864 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Nights in KC During a Conference

Downtown is not really a "shopping" area in KC, but there are a couple of boutique shops in The Power and Light District, which is walking distance.

http://www.powerandlightdistrict.com/

The Plaza is probably her best bet for shopping and just general wandering, short cab ride if you don't have a car. Crown Center would be another good bet.

Loose Park is a great urban park

http://kcparks.org/park/loose-park-2/

Apple Valley...
Level Contributor
667 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Nights in KC During a Conference

The Plaza is a nice area to walk around as well, especially on the creek side. Plus there are fountains in several places. Fiorella's Jack Stack BBQ is on the plaza and has other items on the menu as well for her. Not too far up the road from the Plaza is the Nelson Atkins Art Museum and Sculpture Park. I enjoy walks through sculpture parks so thought I would mention that (plus the famous shuttlecocks).

jackstackbbq.com/images/art/JSBBQ_Dining_Men…

Sioux Falls, South...
Level Contributor
230 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 Nights in KC During a Conference

Thank you for the tips. It sounds like maybe we should definitely try to make a trip over to the Plaza area during one of our free evenings together!

Edited: 13 July 2013, 07:57
San Diego...
Level Contributor
55 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 Nights in KC During a Conference

When I'm in KC I like to hang out in the crossroads. There's some decent restaurants, a few bars, its best to check KC's weekly tho to see if there's anything going. I think its called the pitch.

5. Re: 3 Nights in KC During a Conference

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2014, 05:17