We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Murder mystery dinner show

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Murder mystery dinner show

Going on vacation in a few weeks from Massachusetts. Has anyone been to the murder mystery dinner show? If so would you recommend it.

MIssouri
Level Contributor
3 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Murder mystery dinner show

I am less than pleased with the experience that my wife and I had at the Murder Mystery Company show on January 26 at Stanford's Comedy Club in Kansas City, Kansas. I would hate to think that anyone would pay full value for this show, let alone the $59.00 that we paid for the Groupon. Honestly, there is nothing positive to say about the experience other than the fact that we had the good sense to leave the show early. From the beginning, it was an unorganized fiasco. We were told to be sure to be there at 5:30 PM for the show that started at 6:00 PM. "Actors" were supposed to start interacting with the guests at 5:30. When we arrived at 5:30 the "actors" were still setting up a photo background at the entrance to the club. We were eventually admitted at 5:45 PM. Not a good way to start.

You may have noticed that I have added quotation marks to the word "actor". I've done this because the "actors" were anything but true actors. Two of the female "actors" were in costume while the male "actors" resembled nothing from the 50's. The atmosphere was horrible with practically no props or decorations to give the room a 50's feel. 50's music playing and that was about it for special effects. Not to mention that the venue left a lot to be desired. Restrooms were dirty with no soap or paper towels in the ladies room. The table arrangement made it impossible to interact with your "team mates". (Tables for two with 10 people per team spread out over 30 feet of space.) The "actors" were unorganized at forming teams. We received at least two different instructions as to how the teams were formed prior to the start of the show. The noise level made communicating with team mates and the "actors" extremely difficult. I've had more of a challenge and more fun solving a "who done it" playing Clue with my family and friends. A group of children could have put on a better production than the Murder Mystery Company did.

The one thing that did resemble a 50's high school was the meal that was served. It could have been served in a school cafeteria but, even then, it wouldn't have gotten rave reviews by any means. The "salad" was lettuce topped with two halves of a tomato slice. The chicken was just okay served over rice that had absolutely no flavor.

If this had been my first experience with Groupon I would assume that Groupons are a way to unload inferior or sub-par products and experiences that would never sell for the full asking price. I'm not a business person but, from my point of view, I would say that Ggroupon would not want to be associated with a product of such poor quality.

The only mystery of the night was; Where did the value go?

Kansas
Level Contributor
228 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Murder mystery dinner show

^^^^

I think that's a "no" :-)

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
1 post
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Murder mystery dinner show

We also bought a Groupon and thought that it would make a great date night. NOT. I had the same experience as airball79. Bad Service after waiting in the lobby for 30 minutes due to the request for us to arrive early which was them attempting to sell booze at the bar and take your picture and sell them to you at the end for $10.00 or $20.00 with a paper frame. The meal was small and bland. The chicken was ok but so small my stomach growled. I felt bad for the people having the pasta. The dessert they brought was a very small 2X2 piece of birthday cake. WHO's Birthday was it? Perhaps they picked that up at the bakery due to someone not buying it? We had to stop for a snack on the way home. For the cost we should have received more. Not a good choice for our money and the groupon was supposed to be 1/2 price. REALLY? The teams were too large to complete a who dunnit feel. Our team was 12 people who were all in a line. You could not easily get up to talk to each other. The seating was horrible. Everyone's chairs touched and had to be negotiated to get everyone in. They kept cramming people in. They could have spaced everyone out to another row but choose not to. There were not props or decorations from the 50's during the play except a sign that said it was the 1957 probm. The actors really did not act much at all or look the part. VERY DISSAPOINTING. BEWARE of the following. All refills are another charge and it does not matter what. They upcharge all drinks and give you a double of alcohol and charges you even when you did not order that. 3 cokes and two alcholic drinks was $34.00. The drink prices are not posted. Ridiculous. We also were charged a 18% service charge on top of that. Forced Tipping. My husband is a great tipper but this upset him. You can't force someone to tip unless you tell them ahead of time or have a large party. We were a party of two. My husband had this reduced after we were told "EVERYONE HAS IT" from one of the people working there. I was so excited when I knew I was going. Not so much anymore.. :(

Edited: 24 February 2014, 16:26
KCK
Level Contributor
867 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Murder mystery dinner show

You might want to be more specific, I think there are several in Kansas City.

www.kcmysterytrain.com/location__schedule

kcparent.com/KC-Parent-Blogs/…

I have heard good things about the one at Holyfield.

KCK
Level Contributor
867 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Murder mystery dinner show

Sorry, just saw the date of the original question

Kansas City...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Murder mystery dinner show

Total agreement! We attended the murder mystery dinner at Belvoir Winery last night. We also left before it was over. It was loud, obnoxious, hard to follow, and the best lines were ad-libbed by audience members. The food was mediocre at best and was three different buffets at three different times, so three times standing in a buffet line. (Two for us as we left before the dessert line formed). An incredible waste of time and $100.

Independence...
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Murder mystery dinner show

We went to the Murder Mystery Company's show at the Tiffany Ballroom. I had a lot of fun getting dressed up (our show's theme was a 50's style prom), and playing characters. The game itself was entertaining, and the historic venue was beautiful. I definitely think the show had a lot of potential. Unfortunately, there were also a lot of problems.

The Location:

The lovely Tiffany Ballroom happens to be in a rather sketchy part of town. I watched one person walking in from the parking lot get harassed by a man who was stumbling around, and I assume he was either drugged out of his mind or completely moon-bat crazy (possibly a bit of both).

The Show:

Once we got inside, I felt a bit safer, but the ballroom where the dinner took place had awful acoustics for speaking. I could hardly understand what was going on when people were talking into the microphone due to the room echo, so it made the whole story very confusing for me. Otherwise, the game was cleverly crafted. I liked the set up, and how each of the individual characters had subtle, quirky things that they were supposed to do that weren't necessarily relevant to the main story line. It made it challenging to guess who the murderer was, because everyone was behaving suspiciously. I liked that aspect a lot!

The Food:

The food wasn't great. I got the tortellini alfredo, and it was similar to what I would've made at home on a night when I didn't feel like spending much time cooking: frozen mixed vegetables, a pack of frozen tortellini, and a jar of pre-made sauce. Definitely okay, just not restaurant quality.

All in all, I don't regret going. We did have fun. But next time, I think we'll just plan our own murder mystery party at home and invite our friends.

8. Re: Murder mystery dinner show

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 07:16