We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hotel in KC is the better one?

Los Angeles...
1 post
Save Topic
Which hotel in KC is the better one?

I'm visiting Kansas City for Thanksgiving and was wondering which of these hotels is the most upscale.

Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center

Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza

Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza

The Westin Kansas City at Crown Center

I am looking for a suite with an adjoining room, kitchen and living area, something very nice.

I've been told that they turn on the lights around Thanksgiving, but I'm not sure which day. It might be nice to stay in one of the hotels on the Plaza in order to see the lights go on, but if the quality of the hotel was not as good, my first choice would be the hotel experience over finding a hotel on the plaza to see the lights go on.

I also hear that the Westin hotel at Crown Center has a great Thanksgiving brunch on Thanksgiving. It would be nice to stay at the Westin and be right there for the brunch, but again, I know nothing about the Westin hotel.

Anybody have first hand knowledge of these hotels?

Thanks so much!

Blue Springs...
Level Contributor
621 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which hotel in KC is the better one?

The lights on the plaza come on Thanksgiving evening.

All of the hotels you have listed are well maintained and nice.

Crown Center hotels are newer by a few years... having said that, they are over 30 years old.

But as I said, well maintained.

Personally, the Marriott has smaller rooms in my opinion.

If I were to pick, I would stay on the plaza for the lights, or the Westin Crown Center.

Saint Joseph...
Level Contributor
2,552 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which hotel in KC is the better one?

The lighting of the Plaza lights is a huge event in KC .....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTnstrIJ4KM

One thing you might have noticed from that video though, is the gridlock traffic that exists EVERYWHERE around the Plaza that night. I actually surprised that those hotels have availability at this point. Don't expect a Plaza view room ..... those sell out well in advance.

The Sheraton Suites - Plaza is actually in (on) the Plaza. The Marriot, is a block or two away, but has a great view from atop a hill. My point is, if you choose the Sheraton, getting to or from your hotel within 90 minutes or an hour of the ligthing (6:53 p.m.) will be impossible.

Here is the website with specific information about the lighting:

countryclubplaza.com/event/…

I've been to pretty much every ceremony for the last 40 years. We lived or now have family close by, so we walk. The saddest thing that we see EVERY year are the cars of folks that are stuck in traffic (especially the ones with children). Not only do they NOT see the lighting, they usually have to turn around so they don't see the lights at all.

Have a Great Trip!!!

kansas city
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which hotel in KC is the better one?

Crown center lights their. Tree on Friday night

Liberty, Missouri
Level Contributor
111 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which hotel in KC is the better one?

I would be surprised if the Plaza Marriott or Sherton Suites still have rooms available over Thanksgiving because that is such a big event at the Plaza. If they do, the Sheraton would be my suggestion because it is right on the Plaza. The Marriott is about three long blocks up a hill from the eastern edge of the Plaza. It's walkable, but not as convenient. Having said that, getting in and out of the Sheraton with a car during the lighting ceremony and beforehand could be a challenge. That will only be about two to three hours, however, and if you plan for it, you will be fine. Plus, you will probably want to participate in the event.

The Westin Crown Center is a 15 minute drive away and has recently been redone.

5. Re: Which hotel in KC is the better one?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2014, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Kansas City