We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

woman traveling alone

Which Kansas City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Central Texas
2 posts
Save Topic
woman traveling alone

Hi, I'll be in Kansas City in mid September. I'd like a hotel that is walking distance to shopping but also funky local places (Westport?). I'm considering hotels on the plaza (Marriott or Holiday Inn). Is this a safe place to stay if I plan to mostly walk to places? I like to hear live music so I may be out late one night. I thought about hotels in Westport but they are short on amenities (pool). Any advice would be great. Thanks!

kansas
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: woman traveling alone

It is definitely safer walking in the plaza area than westport. I've had friends get mugged leaving clubs in westport so I suggest taking a taxi there if you are going at night.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
416 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: woman traveling alone

The immediate Country Club Plaza area is absolutely safe. As in any city, be aware of your surroundings and do not put yourself in a vulnerable location (ie. deserted parking garage at night). The Marriott and Holiday Inn is a quick walk away from the Plaza and I would not reccomend that a single female walk to/from the Plaza at night. (These hotels might have shuttles but I don't know for sure) During the day it would be absolutely fine, lots of foot activity in that area. You may want to consider a hotel directly on the Plaza such as the Sheraton or Courtyard. In my opinion, staying on the Plaza is more desirable than the hotels in Wesport.

While Wesport is certainly walkable from the Plaza, again I would not reccomend it to a single female. Cab fare would be inexpensive. While Wesport certainly has had its share of "incidents", I wouldn't feel unsafe there at night. On weekend nights its extremely busy and there is a noticable police presence. Not so busy on weeknights, but still plenty of foot activity. Again, be aware of your surroundings and you will be just fine.

Kansas City, MO
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: woman traveling alone

Gregbkc is right on. Great advice in his post.

I gave my wife a shopping weekend on the Plaza last month. I got her a great rate at the Sheraton Suites for two nights and she was impressed with the location, room, and amenities. I believe they just finished a renovation. One thing to note regarding the Sheraton's pool, it's on the west side of the building so it doesn't get sun in the morning.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
16 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: woman traveling alone

The Sheraton Suites, Raphael, Intercontinental, Courtyard & Hampton Inn Suites are all located around the edge of the Plaza. Thus, they are safe to walk to/from the Plaza at night as you don't really leave the Plaza (The Plaza area in itself is safe - they have their own security that patrols the area well into the night). The Marriot and Holiday Inn are located about a block off the Plaza and as such may not necessarily be as safe as the other aforementioned hotels. However, I always feel safe personally when I am in or around the Plaza.

As for Wesport, the Quarterage Hotel would be the only place I'd recommend as it is situated right in the heart of Westport. You can walk out the front and be at live music joints and nightclubs within a few feet of you. Westport is a fairly safe place these days as they have "cleaned" it up in recent years.

The Plaza is Kansas City's premier shopping district. It is to KC what Time Square is to NYC, Magnificent Mile to Chicago, Union Square to San Francisco, Riverwalk to San Antonio, etc. Westport is a "funky" place with more nightclubs/bars, live music venues, small, casual eateries, and unique, local shops.

kansas city
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: woman traveling alone

My daughter and her husband were just mugged and beaten up severely in the Westport area. The police finally walked up attracted by the screaming and the muggers ran away. my children were told there was nothing they could do since the muggers were gone. No medical attention was offered. You are really 'On your own" there. Beware!

6. Re: woman traveling alone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 10:36