We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

World's best BBQ quest...

Texas
Level Contributor
323 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
World's best BBQ quest...

I am on a quest for the world's best BBQ. Living in Texas, I am used to eating good BBQ, but I know there are other great places in the country to get fantastic ribs, brisket, etc, etc. Kansas City is known for great BBQ - what is you favorite BBQ restaurant?

Kansas City
Level Contributor
416 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: World's best BBQ quest...

My favorite in KC is Oklahoma Joes.

http://www.oklahomajoesbbq.com/

Lee's Summit...
Level Contributor
131 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: World's best BBQ quest...

My favorite is Jack Stack!

www.jackstackbbq.com

Grain Valley...
Level Contributor
139 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: World's best BBQ quest...

I agree with Jack Stack's!!!

Estes Park, Colorado
Level Contributor
622 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: World's best BBQ quest...

Smokehouse on North Oak.. (Has other locations, but we like this one best.) They have the best baked beans on the planet.

SIDENOTE: Texas-style barbeque and KC-style barbeque differ. Here in the Midwest, I think we are more about Sauce.

Each restaurant is know for its own sauce, whether it be sweet, hot, mild, salty or vinegar-ish. Most places will put the sauce on the side. If you want a sampling of what to expect, try some Masterpiece BBQ sauce, which you should be able to get at your local grocery store. It would give you a sample taste of the sauce you might find in KC. The meat though is another story... you can't put that in a jar. =)

kansas
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: World's best BBQ quest...

putting KC masterpiece on good BBQ would be like putting A-1 on a filet at Ruth Chris's. That stuff isn't much better than ketchup.

BTW, do not be fooled into eating at the KC Masterpiece Restaurant. The guy who invented the sauce retained the rights to open the restaurants when he sold it to Clorox (or Unilever or some other big corporation I don't remember which) he then sold the restaurants to Famous Dave's which isn't even Kansas City BBQ. The food at these restaurants isn't any good and never will be.

Texas
Level Contributor
323 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: World's best BBQ quest...

thanks for the replies all - the only bbq I have eaten in KC is at the original Arthur Bryant's - I gotta say, it was very good

Estes Park, Colorado
Level Contributor
622 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: World's best BBQ quest...

remiller wrote: "putting KC masterpiece on good BBQ would be like putting A-1 on a filet at Ruth Chris's. That stuff isn't much better than ketchup. "

In referring to KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce, I was only referencing a commonly available nationally available brand which is similar to KC style BBQ. I was not endorsing it as the best BBQ restaurant.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
16 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: World's best BBQ quest...

The "World's Best BBQ" is in Kansas City. My top five favorite BBQ eateries are as follows:

1. LC's - A hard core BBQ joint, the original on Blue Parkway is the best BBQ in town. Meats comes straight out of the smoker and can hold its own without sauce. LC's is slow-cooked BBQ at its best. Their BBQ turkey sandwich is the best I've ever had. Huge portions (double decker sandwiches are biggest in town), fantastic meats, and the BEST baked beans!!!! Tangy sauce is also right up there near the best.

2. Oklahoma Joe's - I just love their 'Carolina style sandwiches. Located in a gas station, this place has lines outside the door nearly everyday for lunch. Sauce is second only to Rosedale.

3. Rosedale BBQ - MY GOD, the sauce. If you love sweet-n-spicy sauces then this is your place. BEST BBQ sauce!!!! Caution: sauce is on the hot side like real BBQ should be. The food is good, but the sauce its what makes this place.

4. Hayward's Pit BBQ - This place get very mixed reviews around town, but IMO this place has the best meats - smoky flavored, tender, and juicy. Their burnt ends are to die for.

5. BB's Lawnside BBQ - Beer, Blue's and BBQ - now that's what life should be. Ribs fall off the bone and the meat just melts in your mouth. Has a bit of a cajun flair with jambalaya, crawfish etouffee, and bread pudding w/ whiskey sauce on the menu. Gets REAL loud after 8:00 when the Blue's Band start playin'

kansas
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: World's best BBQ quest...

I think Hayward's gets mixed reviews because of changes in ownership over the last few years. He let his daughter take the place over a few years back and there was a noticeable drop in the quality. I've heard that he has since come back and is now running the place so maybe it is worth going back to now.

Mannheim, Germany
Level Contributor
224 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: World's best BBQ quest...

The BEST BBQ is Smokehouse and then Jack Stack. Smokehouse has great everything from burnt ends, ribs, baked beans... We have Smokehouse for all family gatherings. It's just the best.

I like the chicken salad at Jack Stack - which is not too traditional, but the chicken is awesome!

Get answers to your questions about Kansas City