We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sasan Gir Lion viewing opportunities

Which Sasan Gir hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
7 posts
139 reviews
Save Topic
Sasan Gir Lion viewing opportunities

Hello

I would like to visit Sasan Gir National Park 25th-27th October 2014. I am going primarily to see the Asiatic Lion. Does anyone know whether they'll be around/viewable at that time of year? The Lonely Planet tells me that the park opens 10 days earlier (unless there's been a heavy monsoon, in which case the opening date is delayed). It's a long way to travel if the Park isn't even open.

Many thanks

K, London, UK

Mumbai
Level Contributor
9,327 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sasan Gir Lion viewing opportunities

Hi KLondonK,

The Gir Lion Safari opens on 16th October 2014. The online booking for the Gir Jungle Trail (Safari) is open and it is suggested you pre-book your safari on http://girlion.in/ . You may take an afternoon safari, because October being summer, there is a likelihood of lions visiting watering holes to beat the heat.

In addition, do visit Devalia Safari Park, at Gir. It is a short safari by bus and sighting of lion is assured in this park.

CarLink

London
Level Contributor
7 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sasan Gir Lion viewing opportunities

Thank you very much for your response. Do you think it's better to visit at a different time of the year to maximise the chance of seeing lions?

Mumbai
Level Contributor
9,327 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sasan Gir Lion viewing opportunities

Actually it is best to visit Gir during peak summer April / May, however October is not too bad.

Ideally, what you can do is, book 2 Safaris during your stay at Gir ... to better your chances.

At Devalia, you are certain to sight lions. Do visit Devalia Safai Park.

CarLink

Edited: 12 August 2014, 18:23
London
Level Contributor
7 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sasan Gir Lion viewing opportunities

Thank you!

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Lonavala, Binsar, Dalhousie, Gir National Park, Shirdi, Uttarakhand
Level Contributor
7,819 posts
480 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sasan Gir Lion viewing opportunities

hi klondonk

the best time to enjoy and see lions in gir NP is from feb last week to april....when grass height decreases due to hot atmosphere , the chances to sighting lions increases...

yes, better book morning and evening , both safari..to produce maximum chances to see lions..during my 3 visits..i was lucky enough to see lions everytime...

6. Re: Sasan Gir Lion viewing opportunities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2015, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Sasan Gir