We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do and see between Chicago and Saint Louis?

Which Saint Louis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Long Island
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What to do and see between Chicago and Saint Louis?

Please advise.Thanx.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do and see between Chicago and Saint Louis?

Many miles of cornfields.

South Bend, Indiana
Level Contributor
938 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do and see between Chicago and Saint Louis?

Springfield, IL - Lincoln museum, New Salem community, shopping. I agree with the lots of corn statement too!!

Kansas City
Level Contributor
416 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do and see between Chicago and Saint Louis?

A similar thread incase you haven't seen. . .

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g44881-i234-k10674…

Edwardsville...
Level Contributor
257 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do and see between Chicago and Saint Louis?

If you want to vary your route a little, you could take I-80 West and stop at Starved Rock State Park. Beautiful state park along the Illinois river with miles and miles of trails that follow the river or hike more inland to see some of the incredible canyons and streams. the trails are very easy to follow but not paved and overdone. the lodge there is very nice - restaurant, bar, cafe, little shops. Also, the town of utica is cute - shopping and restaurants. it even has it's own winery downtown - August Hill. not bad. try their wine frosts - wow! good stuff. you can even buy the mix to make your own. Then, when you're finished with the area - you can hop on I-39 and head south to bloomington-normal and pick up I-55 to finish the drive.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,622 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do and see between Chicago and Saint Louis?

Starved Rock is great...no need to backtrack back to Bloomington...

You'll take I 55 to I 39 then I 39 to I 80. Starved rock will be just off I 80 in Utica. To get to Chicago from there take I 80 to I 55 which will run into Lakeshore Drive in Chicago.

If you drive straight through I recommend stopping in Bloomington/Normal for food...Exit where you see a ton of gas stations...there's a culver's there with good custard and decent fast food. With one stop it usually takes me about 6 hours.

usa
Level Contributor
216 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do and see between Chicago and Saint Louis?

Wildlife Prairie State Park is off I 74 in Kickapoo (2 miles from Peoria) . It is a great walking wildlife park. If you go be sure to stop at Ludys afterwards for the best and biggest hamburger that you have ever had in your life. All that corn pays off in the best tasting cows in the country! Bloomington also has a really nice Childrens Museum with tons of hands on activities. The new Lincoln Museum in Springfield is amazing and enjoyed by all no matter what the age.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
392 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do and see between Chicago and Saint Louis?

Springfield has enough to keep you busy for a stop over but I wouldn't say you should spend the night. Get there in the morning and head downtown to see the Museum (give this a few hours to do). Grab lunch at Cafe Brio then head to the Old Capitol and Lincolns home. You can park the car and walk to all the above. Grab the car and pop over to the Dana-Thomas house if you like Frank Loyd Wright architecture. You could also hit the capitol building. It is acutally quite beautiful on the inside and they have tours. Then head to D'arcy's for a horseshoe. So tasty. Hop back on 55 and head to STL. Those attractions will eat up a good chunk of the day. There are also some Route 66 sites.

Starved Rock is a wonderful park. I miss going hiking there.

Saint Louis...
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do and see between Chicago and Saint Louis?

timmy485 has given an excellent agenda for Springfield. I agree, no real need to spend the night, but if you do, stay at the Clarion Inn Statehouse - best by far, reasonable, and in a great location for hitting all things Lincoln downtown. Only other thing I'd suggest is maybe hitting Cozy Dog (moved from its original location on Route 66, but still high on the nostalgia-meter nonetheless!)

Or, you can take I-57 South from Chicago and stop in Champaign for lunch. All kinds of good places in the downtown area.

Granite City, IL
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do and see between Chicago and Saint Louis?

Cozy Dog's in Springfield for lunch... inventor of the corndog on Route 66. They're closed Sundays.

Webster Groves,MO
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do and see between Chicago and Saint Louis?

Route 66 is a nice escape along the Interstate between Saint Louis and Chicago Also lots of roadwork on Interstate 55 check it at www.illinoisroads,com