We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italian Market - Panforte??

Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
513 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Italian Market - Panforte??

I've been to the Hill, and know that there are a lot of Italian shops there. Does anyone know if any of them carry Panforte? It's an Italian pastry similar to fruitcake, that's native to Siena. It's really good, and I would like to get some for Christmas. I've looked online, with no luck. Can anyone out there help me?

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
88 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Italian Market - Panforte??

Try the Missouri Baking Co on the hill. I don't know if they have what you are looking for, but you can call them at (314) 773-6566

St. Louis
Level Contributor
195 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Italian Market - Panforte??

I actually did call MO Bakery earlier today as STLcard06 recommended. They have something called a "Pannetone" which is sweet bread with raisin and fruit. They told me that they had not heard of a "Panforte", so I don't know what else to tell you. They pretty much know Italian baking in the StL area. Give them a call and see if that's the same thing you might be looking for. Good Luck!!

Edwardsville...
Level Contributor
258 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Italian Market - Panforte??

Well, I can tell you that Panettone is the universal sweet holiday bread in all of italy - it's everywhere... and i truly do mean - EVERYWHERE! but it is nothing like Panforte - which is hard to find outside of siena, even here in italy. But funny that i should read this post just now because last night, we received a "harry and david" catalog and i flipped through it and saw their "Fruit Cake Confection" that looks a lot like the Panforte. I'm sure you'd rather have it home made but it's an option...

i'll see if i can find a recipe of the real one for you and if you're feeling ambitious, maybe you could make one yourself - it's basically just candied fruits, nuts, honey, a few spices, and a tiny bit of flour... i'll get back to you

Edwardsville...
Level Contributor
258 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Italian Market - Panforte??

Well, in all of my cookbooks, i only found one recipe and it's all in grams and liters... so i did some searching on the internet and found a few good recipes (one of which is very similar to my book). and by the way, i forgot that most panforte has cocoa in it - the one i tried was a family recipe of a friend and they don't use cocoa and they leave the fruit and nuts a little larger... but most people chop the pieces smaller and add cocoa or sometimes even melted semi-sweet chocolate. anyway - here's two links to some very easy recipes...

www.joyofbaking.com/Panforte.html

www.divinacucina.com/code/panforte.html

STL
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Italian Market - Panforte??

This is so funny! I'm in STL and have also been looking for panforte -- in gourmet and import stores in NYC over Thanksgiving, and online tonight. I found a number of recipes, but also several places you can order it from by googling. Have a look at:

www.ninthstbakery.com/onlinestore.htm

markethallfoods.com (Pasticceria Sinatti Panforte)

www.ibfoods.com/store/ (after all the panettones)

Amazon.com (under Gourmet Food--probably the biggest selection)

www.igourmet.com/shoppe/

St. Louis,MO
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Italian Market - Panforte??

I was just at Degregorio's Italian Market on the 'Hill' to stock up on Canolli shells. I asked one of the employees about the Pan Forte and they said YES! There are two types of Pan Forte they carry 1)La FLorentine and 2) Belino. I am clueless as to the differances but I hope this helps.

JJ

7. Re: Italian Market - Panforte??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 09:29