We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time in St. Louis

NJ
1 post
Save Topic
First Time in St. Louis

I'll be in town from 7/22 to 7/25 for a baseball weekend with friends. We'll be staying at the Radisson near the Arch. What is the nightlife like downtown? How about restaurants? Also, what is the atmosphere like around Busch stadium before a ballgame? Any tips or suggestions woulp be appreciated.

Thanks

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time in St. Louis

If you're a baseball fan, even if you don't like the Cards, you'd enjoy a tour of Busch stadium. We're Braves fans and even we got a kick out of it. Our guide was awesome and knew a lot of the place's history.

Level Contributor
588 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time in St. Louis

Energy is great around Busch statdium before a game! Trust me, will love it! As for nightlife, pretty good. There are sevweral pockets of bars/restaurants downtown near the stadium.

Soulard is very close, just south of the stadium on Broadway. Cool, eclectic area with several fabulous restaurants and great little pubs/clubs. If you venture, check out Norton's or my personal fav Tucker's. Want a coold place to catch a cocktail... try the Venice Cazfe. YOU HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE IT!! Trust me on that one!! Hidden city secret with the most unusual, amazing patio that you have ever seen. Soulard area is always hopping with lots to do!!! Nice mix of people from young to old.

Also a group of bars down by the Landing (Riverfront, close to the Arch). The area tends to be very touristy and a lot in the bars (young college age). THough on game day, a better mix! Consider dinner at the Morgan Street Brewery or Jake's Steaks. Warning, on game day... the Landing can be a ZOO.

Another group of bars/restaurants are on Washington Avenue... 5 minutes from the stadium, a bit west and north. A lot more hip, a little older (mid 20's to mid to upper 30's). A lot of martini bars and lot of more hip dance clubs. A lot of trance, everyone dressed to kill. Not my scene, but if into that... a ton of options.

My all time fav dowtown is Harry's. It is like 5-6 minutes from the stadium, just West of Union Station. Fabulous restaurant with wonderful food. AWESOME outdoor patio with a live band. Also more trendy, very fun. On the expensive side, but always love it and have fun there. In addition, a LOT of cardinals hang out there after the games. Also see a lot of Rams and Blues players.

Just a few ideas for you...

Mentioned in this post
Soulard
Soulard
113 Reviews
Saint Louis, MO
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
472 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time in St. Louis

Some very good suggestions from Steve&Carr in the previous post.

For restaurants, I would suggest Tanner B's, which is at 1113 Pine Street. This is there second location and it is new, so it should not be too crowded before/after a game.

For nightlife, The Cabin Inn is a bit of a walk, but it is part of St. Louis' unique City Museum and is open until 1:00 AM.

Mentioned in this post
City Museum
City Museum
5,614 Reviews
Saint Louis, MO