We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need opinions on our weekend in STL

Which Saint Louis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas City
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Need opinions on our weekend in STL

Hello,

My husband and I are coming to STL next weekend with our 2 teenage boys.

Will get in town Friday and tentatively have planned to go to the zoo that afternoon/evening.

Saturday, want to go to 6 Flags.

Then maybe tour the Budweiser brewery on Sunday.

Any recommendations on where to stay? Preferably less than $100 per night.

Thanks!

Cleveland
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Need opinions on our weekend in STL

Zoo and Brewery are complete opposite ends from Six Flags. Plan on at least an 40 min. drive if you are downtown to get to Six Flags.

Less than $100/night might be hard to find downtown. Many also might be booked because it is a weekend.

The Science Center is very good and FREE (unless you want to go into a special exhibit or see an OmniMax movie)

History Museum is Free.

The Arch costs but it is reasonable. BUT you must get there as soon as it opens to get tickets for the tram. If you don't they sell out fast. The tram is not for clausterphobic people. It technically seats 5 but that is squooshing it. It is a little like being in a clothes dryer. That being said, the Arch is very good and the Westward Expansion museum below does a great job with the West and the Louisiana Purchase. Last time I was there there was a horrible line to even get underground (Arch entrance and Museum entrance) because you had to go through metal detectors because it is a Federal monument. I don't know if this has changed.

I have been on the Brewery Tour many times (not since they were bought by InBev) and what we like to do is go on the tour towards the after noon/ evening and then go out to dinner at some of the nice restaurants around there.

STL
Level Contributor
422 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need opinions on our weekend in STL

If hotel amenities aren’t a huge deal (as in you don’t care if you don’t have a pool or something), consider booking on Priceline.com. You can probably get your price within downtown.

Are you going to have GPS system with you? Otherwise, I’m hesitation to recommend any other areas to stay. St. Louis is very spread out and not the most logical metro area to navigate.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
266 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need opinions on our weekend in STL

If you want to be downtown then the Mellinium Hotel is an excellent choice for value and location. It is minutes from the brewery or the arch!

If you want a lot of comfort and a fabulous indoor/outdoor pool (open till midnight to wear those teens out) then hands down it is the Holiday Inn Off of Butler Hill in South County - known to the locals as the Holidome! They have a resturant and a full bar and an arcade etc.

Another choice with free full breakfast is the Drury Inn in Fenton - also a great pool. It is located about half way between downtown and six flags and it very reasonable.

Besh wishes and enjoy your trip to St. Louis!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
266 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need opinions on our weekend in STL

Make sure you eat at The Lemp Mansion for dinner on Sunday! You don't want want to miss this - check out the website and History of the mansion - the teens will love it. It is across the highway from the Brewery.

You also may want to check out Grants Farm. It is owned by the brewery and it is free also.

Saint Charles...
Level Contributor
869 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need opinions on our weekend in STL

I wouldn't stay at the Millennium Hotel again if it were free. In fact, I quit doing 3* on priceline for fear of getting this hotel.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Need opinions on our weekend in STL

Grants Farm is good but I think it younger kids and older adults enjoy it more than teenagers. But if you are interested you should know they only have weekend hours now.

Saturday and Sunday 9:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.

Webb City MO
Level Contributor
463 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need opinions on our weekend in STL

If you want to try priceline, but are hesitant because of what you might get downtown,(I have read quite a few posts of people being disappointed with what they got through priceline downtown) try Westport. It is kind of midway between what you have planned. We got the Sheraton in Westport through priceline for $42 a night on a weekend. You also might want to take a look at biddingfortravel.com to get a good idea of how to use priceline to your advantage. Anyway, have a great trip!!!!

Saint Charles...
Level Contributor
869 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need opinions on our weekend in STL

I am also underwhelmed with the Westport properties. I would do priceline for downtown STL in a 4* range. I also use biddingfortravel.com and typically they go for $60-$80 per night.

Saint Peters
Level Contributor
496 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need opinions on our weekend in STL

I checked Hotwire.com. This weekend you can get a 4 star hotel in downtown st. Louis for $82 per night. 3 and half star downtown is $66. 3 star in Forest Park/Clayton area is $64. You should be able to get a great price, I would think, since the Cardinals are out of town on Priceline, as well.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
266 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need opinions on our weekend in STL

I always find the better deals on either Hotels.com or CheapTickets.com - they have a bevy of information for you.

On sites such as this you will always have your nay-sayers and people with very differnt opinions... Just weed through and find what matters to you most. Once again, best of luck and have a great trip. St. Louis is a great city with a few set backs (like all cities) but in general there is something here for everyone and much of it is free of charge.