We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Security screening time at the arch, other ?s

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Security screening time at the arch, other ?s

Has anyone been to the arch this summer on a weekday pm? The website says to allow 30-45 min. to go through security. I really don't have that kind of extra time and am wondering if we arrive 15 min. early if that's good enough. I was thinking of booking an 8:30 pm slot for Wed. 7/8 since sunset is at 8:29. Will we be able to see the sun set from the arch or just the colors associated with a sunset?Also, has anyone been to the new viewing platform on the other side of the river? We'll be driving from Springfield, leaving by 5:30 and hope to reach the viewing platform at the Malcolm Memorial Park by 7:30. Will we have enough time to get some pics there and get to the arch for an 8:30 slot? If you're a little late will they let you in on the next available time or do you forfeit your ride? To save $2.00 on parking, how far of a walk is it to the arch entrance if we park at the levee vs. the $6.00 arch parking garage? If we had more time, I'd park at free metered parking by the courthouse but don't think we will.

St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
2,918 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Security screening time at the arch, other ?s

The levee parking is not much farther than arch parking. Maybe an extra couple hundred yards. Since you're in a time crunch, I think I'd spend the $2.

Not sure about arch/security time specifics. Sorry.

One warning: when you visit the viewing pavilion, you're likely to have the sun directly behind downtown, which will not be good for photos. If this happens, you might consider stopping on the Eads Bridge for a photo. (Probably not legal, but it's not a very busy bridge that time of night and I can't imagine the police hassling tourists).

2. Re: Security screening time at the arch, other ?s

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2009, 06:21
Get answers to your questions about Saint Louis