We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Construction/Ideas help

Which Saint Louis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
Level Contributor
139 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Construction/Ideas help

Hi all, I am planning an August trip and I thought I'd turn it into a little road trip. Can anyone help me with possible construction issues? AAA can help but things change. I am trying to get an idea from people who travel these ways often.

I am planning from Memphis to Tunica to St Louis, then...? Maybe Chicago or Indianapolis. I welcome suggestions.

My highways looks like I-55 N and I-70 E at this leg of the trip.

Any tips/input is always appreciated!

St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
2,853 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Construction/Ideas help

Please check out the Day Trips article for places to visit around St. Louis. Depending on your interests, I'm sure you'll find something of interest:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g44881-s407/Saint-Lou…

How many days are you talking about? Any kids along? What are your interests?

For a lengthy trip, you might want to post in the Road Trips forum.

Chicago is a "can't miss" city to visit, plus Springfield is a great stopover on the way (the Lincoln Presidential Library is fabulous and the Inn at 835 is an excellent boutique/B&B accomodation). Can't tell you much about Indianapolis - a nice town, but I've never done the tourist thing.

The only construction you should be aware of in St. Louis is the I-64 closure between Kingshighway and I-170. It's fairly easy to navigate around it, but you will want to add 10-15 minutes for the 44 to I-270 detour. I wouldn't think this could impact your trip plans, especially if your next stop is Chicago or Indianapolis.

Michigan
Level Contributor
191 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Construction/Ideas help

www.modot.mo.gov/plansandprojects/index.htm

MDOT complete with project listings, delays, and traffic cameras...

St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
969 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Construction/Ideas help

We just drove from St. Louis to Chicago via I55 this last weekend. We encountered no significant construction delays but there was some ongoing work mostly around Springfield. While driving north, I noticed a 2-3 mile backup on the southbound lanes heading into Springfield. If that's going on around the time you are travelling, and they shift work to the northbound lanes, that could be an issue.

FYI - Montgomery County (mostly north of Litchfield) is starting to get a pretty good reputation as a serious speed trap.

Ohio
Level Contributor
139 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Construction/Ideas help

Thanks for all the input. There is no definite plan - kinda gonna go with the flow...so I can't estimate how many days I will be around. I will have 8 days before I need to be anywhere (back to work). I've done some research around several cities, St Louis is one I've never been to. I actually am going to Nashville first, figured Memphis is close, Chicago COULD be on the way back to Ohio, but I'm the kinda of person that "almost there" or "really close" could be 300 miles from my starting point.

Can anyone give me a heads up on where to avoid? I read the outskirts of the city is not a place to go at night? There is me for sure, likely one other, we're 20-somethings heading out. No really specific interests, I know a baseball game is out due to time frame. Likely do touristy things...

Will check into the links. Thanks again!

Ohio
Level Contributor
139 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Construction/Ideas help

Checking out www.roadsideamerica.com and found this... Hazelwood (St. Louis), Missouri - Psychedelic Mall -- Good time or waste of time?

Also see a lot of mixed reviews an City Museum...Is it like a Ripleys or guiness world records museum?

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
534 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Construction/Ideas help

I think the psychedelic Mills mall is a waste of time. Except for Cabela's, the stores are not that great.

The City museum is not like either of the places you mentioned. Some people like it, and others like me don't. It would definitely be more fun if you have kids with you. If not, I'd skip it.

St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
2,853 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Construction/Ideas help

If you stay close to the tourist attractions in St. Louis, you'll be safe. You're right, the parts of the city jsut outside of downtown would be the worst place to wander off at night. North of Delmar and across the river are definitely not touristy.

Not sure why you can't make a ball game - are the Cardinals out of town? If not, you should be able to get a ticket somehow. The two minor league teams are fun to watch - River City Rascals in O'Fallon, MO and the Gateway Grizzlies in Sauget, IL.

Here is a list of just the free tourist attractions that I would recommend:

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i19868-Free_Att…

The Trip Advisor Things to Do list is a good place to find fun activities.

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g44881-Activitie…

If you are interested in nightlife, read the barhopping article:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g44881-c114295/Saint-…

I do highly recommend the Springfield / Chicago trip after St. Louis.

Ohio
Level Contributor
139 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Construction/Ideas help

The Cardinals are out of town for the few days I would be there, I would enjoy a game...Haven't been to too many other ball parks.

Ohio
Level Contributor
139 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Construction/Ideas help

I'm looking at hotels in nearby Collinsville, IL - is this a good location? I have heard (along with every other major city) one wrong turn can take you into a not so friendly neighborhood.

I am still playing with the idea of spending more and staying downtown, but not sure yet. Any other suggestions about hotel location (within 15-20 miles or so)? Thanks again!

St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
2,853 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Construction/Ideas help

You could probably get a good deal on a downtown hotel using priceline. Check betterbidding.com for recent Priceline wins in St. Louis. Pretty sure you can find something for $49 a night.

There are no bad neighborhoods around Collinsville. It's a typical blue collar suburb.