We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go after experiencing Gateway Arch?

Which Saint Louis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
140 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go after experiencing Gateway Arch?

We are 4 women who will be taking the Metro to get to the arch, and would like to find a great restaurant in a fun, safe area to go to afterwards. We don't mind taking the Metro to get wherever you would recommend. There doesn't seem to be too much around the Arch area except for Laclede's Landing, and the reviews of that area do not make it seem very desirable. Any suggestions?

Mississippi
Level Contributor
478 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go after experiencing Gateway Arch?

Welll...we just got back and I have to say that i have a little different opinion now that i have been. This is exactly what i would do, after the arch, walk down the stairs to the "boat restuarant" to the right on the river and just cruise over there and get you all a "drink to go" and then right on the river, there will be horse/carriage rides. Grab one of those with your drink to go, and have them take you on a 15 min ride around the river/arch area and drop take you to lacledes landing and find a restuarant that has outside seating. There are maps at LL with all the restuarants listed and your horse/carriage driver will also be helpful. We ate at Joey B's outside and loved it. I wouldnt stay past 8 or so, thats when the "young, barhopper crowd " tends to come out. If you dont want to eat outside, then i would definately try spaghetti factory at LL, We loved eating outside with the cobblestone roads, felt like new orleans. You will love it, oh and the carriage ride shoud be 40 dollars, so 10 dollars each is worth the ride/view and your driver will give you some neat history. 2boys

St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
2,852 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go after experiencing Gateway Arch?

2boys' suggestion sounds like fun.

Another alternative, which would be a little more upscale, is to take the Metrolink to the Central West End. Restaurant suggestions: Liluma, -scape, Brasserie by Niche or Herbies Vintage 72. Maybe head to the Eau Cafe or Bar Louie for a drink afterwards.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
140 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go after experiencing Gateway Arch?

Thank you both for great suggestions. I appreciate it!!

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
86 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go after experiencing Gateway Arch?

You can also take the Metro down to Union Station. I'm not sure what restaurants and shopping are there currently..the building is wonderful. If you are up to walking...walk down Market Street from the Arch to Union Station. Check out the new City Garden on the way. Or walk from the arch past the Old Court House, and eat at the restaurant that overlooks the City Garden. There are also some chains near the Garden. The 'garden" has a lot of art and fun features.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
585 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go after experiencing Gateway Arch?

Any hotels near the arch?

St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
966 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go after experiencing Gateway Arch?

To Kreinke,

This link takes you to the Hyatt Regency Hotel trip Advisor page. If you scroll down, on the right hand side you'll see a list of other hotels close to the Hyatt. The Hyatt and the Drury Plaza are the closest to the Arch.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g44881-d112445-…

Holts Summit, MO
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go after experiencing Gateway Arch?

FYI - I just booked the Hyatt Regency at the Arch on Priceline - Name your own price - for about 1/3 the cheapest rack rate, and there's even a home Cards game that night!; check out BetterBidding.com for what to bid.

8. Re: Where to go after experiencing Gateway Arch?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2010, 05:16