We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Girl's Weekend in October

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
14 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Girl's Weekend in October

2 moms in our mid 30's are heading to STL from KC to get away from the kiddos (LOL!) for a long weekend 10/12-10/14. We've been to STL a number of times with our families for various sporting events and to visit friends but are wondering what we should do when it's just us girls? We both like to shop (funky, quirky stuff in addition to regular clothing, etc), eat (all types of food but prefer not to get too dressed up), and want to sight see. What recommendations do you have. We'll be there most of Friday, all Saturday, and Sunday morning. Thanks!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
71 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Girl's Weekend in October

Sounds fun!!! For quirky shopping I would suggest the Loop (U City). For nicer boutique shopping downtown Kirkwood or the Marketplace Ladue on Clayton Rd.

For restaurants Trattoria Marcella is wonderful! Delicious Italian! Mosaic (one on Washington Ave downtown and one in Des Peres). Unique tapas and great drinks!

The Botanical Garden might be one of the best things for you guys to do! It will be pretty that time of year and not overly crowded. I'm sure you've been to the zoo with your kids already, but if not it is a great zoo! The new sea lion cove will be open also. The art museum is always nice especially in the chance of rain. The Old Cathedral and Cathedral Basilica are also nice if you're interested in that!

Have a good trip!!!

Effingham, Illinois
Level Contributor
101 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Girl's Weekend in October

The brewery tour is a good one, you can enjoy and have a couple free drinks at the end!

You might look a little to the East in Fairview Heights and O'Fallon area for shopping, eating also.

St Clair Square is a large mall located just off the interstate about 15 miles into Illinois (I-64)

There are many great restaurants, including Lottawatta Creek, which offers a variety of things to eat, and the servings are great, and the food is great also. Plenty of things to do not too far from each other.

St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
2,922 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Girl's Weekend in October

For shopping, I just found this tour that looks interesting and inexpensive:

vayable.com/experiences/1832-arch-city-picke…

Main Street St. Charles is a must as well. The best mall is probably West County. I've heard good things about JGilberts for dining.

Cherokee Street is fun for browsing and you can get a great breakfast or lunch at the Mud House or Black Bear Cafe. Downtown Kirkwood is also a great suggestion - visit the Bug Store.

Some other places you might want to eat: The Fountain on Locust, Plush, Sugo's, Crushed Red, Rosalita's, Mango, Brasserie, Remy's, Robust, Tavern and Sasha's (either location). Find out more about these on Trip Advisor and Yelp.

The Botanical Garden will be a whole different experience without kids and the Cathedral Basilica is also a good suggestion.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
472 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Girl's Weekend in October

If you are looking for funky/quirky shopping, then try Cherokee Street - antiques for sale in shops as old as the antiques. Two historic mansions at the east end, art galleries and Mexican shops to the west. Interesting places for food and drink all along the street.

New York Times lists Cherokee as the number one thing to see in St. Louis.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
91 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Girl's Weekend in October

Based on your age, I think you might like Maplewood, MO. for shoppiing at unique shops. Several little shops, Schafley's Bottleworks, and other restaurants. Look for their Chamber of Commerce website and they probably have a list of businesses. I would say it was more quirky than suburban Kirkwood. You might also like TFA - midcentury-modern antiques. Not too far from Ted Drewe's on Watson.

http://tfa50s.com/

University City is also good.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Girl's Weekend in October

Shopping: Cherokee Street, South Grand between Arsenal Street and Utah, and Morganford Ave. just south of Arsenal St. These districts are close to the Botanical Gardens. Also try the University City Loop and the Central West End. Euclid Ave. between Forest Park Parkway and Delmar is full of shops and restaurants/bars/pubs. Also want to hit Washington Ave. downtown. Start at Eads Bridge and head west. You'll stay busy for hours. Hit the City Museum while you're there. Not a big fan of the county so I'm trying to keep you in the City!!!

Smithton, Illinois
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Girl's Weekend in October

Most cities have their quirky shops, but I don't think any other city has "The Hill."

My mom got to take a tour of a Ravioli Factory on The Hill a month or so ago. Can't go wrong with nearly any restaurant on The Hill. I like Favazza's a lot.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
105 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Girl's Weekend in October

For quirky shopping also check out The Delmar Loop between Big Bend and Skinker, primarily.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
19 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Girl's Weekend in October

For different and quirky you can try ghost hunting at the Lemp Mansion. Truly haunting experience! Niche Restaurant down the block on Sidney is great.

St Louis
Level Contributor
156 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Girl's Weekend in October

Love Rue Lafayette in the Lafayette square area for breakfast/brunch/lunch. French cafe mixed with a vintage store, usually have live music on the weekends. Great way to start your day. Check out their website for more http://ruelafayette.us/