We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Morning rush hour

Which Saint Louis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City
Level Contributor
214 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Morning rush hour

We will be visiting St. Louis in about 2 weeks. We are leaning toward staying at the Drury near the Arch due to its central location and great reviews.

My only hesitation is that in the mornings I will need to get to Delmar (just off of 170) around 7:30-8:00, and then to drive back downtown to the hotel around 8:30-9:00. Google maps shows that it should be an easy 15-minute drive on 64W to 170N, but will I be hitting a major rush hour on these highways either going or returning? If so, how bad will it be, and is there a reasonable alternative? Otherwise, I may need to look into staying closer to that part of town.

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
491 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Morning rush hour

You'll be fine going to your location (opposite of traffic) but you might have some slow pockets on your way back (on 40), though it probably won't be nearly as bad as other major cities. There probably isn't a better route, though you can take Skinker (connects to Delmar) south directly to 40 and avoid 170.

Saint Louis...
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Morning rush hour

Agree with the previous poster. I guess it depends on what else you are planning to do while in town. There are a number of hotels in Clayton that would be convenient to Delmar and 170, and there's a large Homewood Suites high rise hotel literally at the 64/170 interchange, which can get oddly backed up at times. I'd get an upper floor, as there's a lot of traffic. Many, many dining and shopping choices near Clayton and the HS. Both areas have the advantage of being near Metrolink stops to take the train downtown. Having just been in NYC I was reminded that nothing here comes close to the traffic level there! Let us know if we can help with anything else.

Edited: 15 August 2012, 04:37
New York City
Level Contributor
214 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Morning rush hour

Thanks for your quick responses. Our basic itinerary is to fly into Lambert Monday mid-afternoon, pick-up our car rental, drop off our bags at our hotel, go to the Arch and explore downtown. The next morning I need to be at Delmar and 170, then we'll spend the day at the City Museum, touring Anheuser, and if there's time, hitting up the zoo or Magic House. We have 3 boys, ages 13, 11, and 4. Late Tuesday afternoon, we're driving to Kansas City, where my family lives.

Because it's such a short visit and our interests are all downtown, I was inclined to stay there. But as you mentioned, because I'm accustomed to NYC traffic, where rush hour can cost an hour of traffic in each direction, I was reassessing. If it's only going to add 15 minutes of start-and-go traffic and only on the return to the hotel, it's not worth changing plans over. I just wanted to make sure that the area I'll be traveling doesn't have major construction or terrible rush hour traffic, and it sounds like it doesn't. Did I get it?

Saint Louis...
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Morning rush hour

I would say you've got things pretty well figured out. Have fun! City Museum has no peers, plan on several hours at least to do it justice.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
19 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Morning rush hour

You pretty much got it. One more suggestion is try Urban Chestnut Brewery on Washington Ave. A former AB brewer opened it (Shocktop Creator). Very good and the first beer is on the house.

6. Re: Morning rush hour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 00:16