We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A "new" attraction for St. Louis

St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
2,887 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
A "new" attraction for St. Louis

Whether you're a local or a tourist, be sure and stop by the newly renovated Central Library in Downtown St. Louis. They spent $70 million upgrading this 100-year-old building and it's beautiful (as well as free). On the third floor is the St. Louis Room, which alone is worth a visit for tourist - lots of books about St. Louis and some great historical photos. Check out this amazing photo of the great hall:

www.flickr.com/photos/ioensis/8311543971/

Saint Louis...
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A "new" attraction for St. Louis

I absolutely agree with the above post!

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A "new" attraction for St. Louis

Absolutely beautiful. As both a librarian and an avid library patron I'm definitely going to make a stop here during our next visit-thanks for the info!

St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
2,887 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A "new" attraction for St. Louis

@librarychick - you're going to love it.

I forgot to mention, one of the docents told me they give tours, too. I believe they start at the top of the hour through mid-day.

fyi, many millions were also put into the Peabody Opera House a couple of blocks to the south. Not sure if they give tours, though, The Fox Theater had a major overhaul in the 80's and they do give tours.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,221 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A "new" attraction for St. Louis

Thanks for the suggestion!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
472 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A "new" attraction for St. Louis

There are free tours of the wonderfully-renovated Central Library on Saturdays and Mondays. 10:00, 11:00, noon, and 1:00. According to the website, they start in the Great Hall.

6. Re: A "new" attraction for St. Louis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2014, 07:16