We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saint Louis Weekday Rush hour

Golden, Colorado
2 posts
Save Topic
Saint Louis Weekday Rush hour

I plan to be driving East on I-70 in mid-May and would like to stop off for breakfast and to visit the Gateway Arch with my family (kids ages 2 & 5). We will be driving straight from Denver so will have been in the car for about 12 hours. Probably arriving in Saint Louis around 7:30 am - will we hit bad rush-hour traffic? Also, any recommendations for a place to grab a yummy breakfast from where we'd park at the Arch? Thanks!!

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
491 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Saint Louis Weekday Rush hour

It can vary a lot on weather. If there is an accident it could be bad. Probably that time is better than a little later. But, rush hour here doesn't compare to a lot of major cities, so I'm guessing you're going to be fine, maybe hit some congestion but nothing major unless there is a bad accident/bad weather.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Saint Louis Weekday Rush hour

When you get to Wentzville west of St. Louis, I suggest taking I-64 East to get to the Arch. I-64 re-merges with I-70 automatically at the Bridge across the Mississippi River downtown. One of the two I-70 spans across the Missouri River is closed for rebuilding now, and traffic can back up. I like the I-64 route better anyway -- it goes right past the Zoo and Forest Park and Busch Stadium. You'll need to exit near Busch Stadium and take downtown streets over to the Arch Parking garage along the North end of the grounds.

There should be breakfast places at one of the suburban exits just East of Wentzville, and right after you cross the Missouri River there is a giant strip mall in the Chesterfield Valley (Missouri River Bottoms) with all the usual chains and most serve breakfast. First Watch chain is always popular.

St. Louis MO
Level Contributor
833 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Saint Louis Weekday Rush hour

I like ZGare's suggestion of stopping in Chesterfield or other far west suburbs to eat. Try and time it so you hit there around 7:30 to 8am, then take an hour or so for a nice breakfast. In Chesterfield valley there's an IHOP, Mimi's Cafe and an Original Pancake House. The next exit up at Clarkson/Olive there is a First Watch about 3/4 of a mile north of I-64.

By about 9am rush hour will be over and you can continue into the city without much traffic.

St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
2,922 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Saint Louis Weekday Rush hour

Agree with above. I-64 gets really busy during the morning rush and I'70 has the bridge outage.

Saint Louis...
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
1,362 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Saint Louis Weekday Rush hour

Also agree with the Chesterfield scenario. Normally I try to avoid that area but at that hour the shopping areas shouldn't be too bad. Original House of Pancakes (not IHOP) has terrific breakfasts, though they aren't cheap.

St. Louis MO
Level Contributor
833 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Saint Louis Weekday Rush hour

Plus maybe someone from St. Charles county can chime in, but don't the backups on I-64 eastbound in the morning start after the Clarkson/Olive exit? Just another reason to have breakfast in the area and let things clear out.

Golden, Colorado
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Saint Louis Weekday Rush hour

thank you everyone!! So helpful!!

Saint Louis...
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
1,362 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Saint Louis Weekday Rush hour

Sounds about right, maybe closer to 141. To the OP, the Chesterfield Valley is just before this area eastbound on 64.

9. Re: Saint Louis Weekday Rush hour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 March 2014, 18:35
10. Re: Saint Louis Weekday Rush hour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2014, 07:18