We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Foodie places to Eat with Kids

Which Saint Louis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
61 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Foodie places to Eat with Kids

We will be in St.Louis this weekend, probably going to Zoo and Magic House, possibly the Gardens, with a 10 and 7 yr old. Don't want to just eat at chain restaurants. Anyone recommend a good place to eat that is kid friendly?

St. Louis MO
Level Contributor
629 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Foodie places to Eat with Kids

When I think "foodie" places the last thing I think is kid-friendly. Just asking for clarification's sake: are you looking for a true "foodie" experience with multiple courses, different and exotic combinations etc or are you just looking for good local restaurants?

About a page back is a thread listing "foodie" places.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g44881-i234-k65618…

Out of that thread "Iron Barley" and "Katies Pizza" are the only one's I've taken my kids to. The rest of those places are pretty pricey and more adult in the atmosphere and the food served.

This article is a good solid list of local places that are well regarded but are kid friendly.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g44881-s507/Saint-Lou…

Chicago
Level Contributor
61 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Foodie places to Eat with Kids

Good food, but moderate pricing, and kid friendly. Just no chains, those good local places that people who live there know about.

St. Louis MO
Level Contributor
629 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Foodie places to Eat with Kids

"Good food, but moderate pricing, and kid friendly": then check out the second link I gave. My only personal additions would be:

-Blues City Deli

-Everest Cafe (just the lunch buffet, not the sit-down dinner)

Going back to your "foodie" restaurant request Vin de Set was nice to us one time and went off the menu to make a normal cheeseburger when we ate there with a kid. (Babysitter bailed at last minute.) But that didn't stop other patrons from given us that "glare" for having a kid in the place even though he was quiet and kept his nose in books the entire time.

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
491 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Foodie places to Eat with Kids

Sauce on the Side (downtown, best calzones and salads ever, voted best restaurant in STL this year. Fast casual)

Pastaria (by our possibly best known STL chef Gerard Craft, very aimed towards kids, no reservations and gets busy though)

Milagro modern Mexican

Saint Louis...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Foodie places to Eat with Kids

How about Italian? The Hill neighbor is pretty close to the Zoo, and not a single chain. You might want to try Zia's http://www.zias.com/hill.

Not far from the Magic House would be Pi, a "gourmet" pizza place. http://www.restaurantpi.com/. I think the President asked them to bring him a pizza once.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
34 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Foodie places to Eat with Kids

Fitz's, on the Delmar Loop. The kids can actually watch the bottling machine at work putting their famous root beer in the bottles while you wait for the food to get ready, and the menu is great for both adults and kids. Outdoor seating is available and a great choice, weather permitting, to see the street action.

Saint Louis...
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
447 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Foodie places to Eat with Kids

I've taken my kids to Pi, Pappy's BBQ, and Crown Candy Kitchen. They really enjoyed each. Here is a link to an episode of man vs food with Pappys and crown candy.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3vCuJ8mizBw

If you have time, take the kids to the city museum. It is amazing.

http://www.citymuseum.org/site/

Have a great trip!

Level Contributor
5 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Foodie places to Eat with Kids

Yep, Pappys! Get there near open to avoid the line.

Also Fitz's - you can watch them bottle the sodas if the line is going that day.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
29 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Foodie places to Eat with Kids

Fountain on locust is fun for kids

Chicago
Level Contributor
61 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Foodie places to Eat with Kids

We went to Fitz's which we really enjoyed. Food was good, great friendly atmosphere, and floats are great. Like that they will split one float into two glasses, great for sharing. Kids also liked watching the bottling of the pop.

Went to Pastaria for dinner. Kids food was great, kids pizza is huge and very good. My dish of pasta was just OK, nothing to rave about. But the gelato is great, many unique flavors and options.