We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do We Need a Rental Car???

Michigan
Level Contributor
386 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Do We Need a Rental Car???

I wrote earlier about coming to a wedding and received some nice responses. NEW QUESTION: If we do stay in Clayton at the Sheraton, and they have an airport shuttle, could we do a lot of sight seeing by easily using the MetroLink trains? Or should we still get a rental car? We would mainly want access to some decent restaurants for 2 nights, visit the Arch area, and maybe the botanical gardens. Any more advice is appreciated.

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
491 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do We Need a Rental Car???

You could probably do fine without a rental car. You could definitely get to many of the attractions with MetroLink, including the Arch/Riverfront, Forest Park (zoo and museums), and many restaurants. Some attractions you would not be able to get to using Metrolink are the Botanical Gardens, Anheiser-Busch brewery, Soulard Farmer's Market... I'd take a look at exactly what you want to see outside of downtown and the prices of Metrolink plus taxis to the places you want to go that aren't on the route. Renting a car here is cheap and may be a better deal for you.

However, if the hotel charges for parking (it looks like it does), it would add even more on.. so keep that in mind. The Sheraton has pretty bad reviews - you may even want to consider staying downtown and going into Clayton just for the wedding unless you have family or friends staying there that you want to be close to.

Edited: 07 September 2013, 17:10
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
796 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do We Need a Rental Car???

I'd say get the rental car. There are stops on the metrolink I would not use at night- and being from out of town, you would not know those.

And there are some nice restaurants that you would need a car to get to. If you like Italian, look at an area called The Hill. It has lots of authentic family owned places that are very popular.

St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
2,922 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do We Need a Rental Car???

I recommend a car to really get a feel for the city. That said, all of these eateries are worth visiting and very close to a Metrolink Stop

Central Table Food Hall and Brasserie by Niche (Central West End)

Robust and Pi Pizzeria and Tigin (Convention Center)

Flying Saucer (Busch Stadium)

Sauce on the Side (8th and Pine)

Tavolo V and Rooftop Bar @ Moonrise (Delmar Loop)

Mai Lee (Brentwood)

You'll need a cab or bus for the Botanical Garden, BTW. It's worth the effort if you think you'll be interested.

Some great neighborhoods you won't see without a car or cab include The Hill, Soulard, Lafayette Square, Soulard, Maplewood, Kirkwood, Midtown and South Grand

Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Do We Need a Rental Car???

Not it you are willing to use metrolink, and the bus if you want to go to the south side (the best part of town).

5. Re: Do We Need a Rental Car???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2014, 06:22