We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

spring 2014

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,543 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
spring 2014

Planning to visit St Louis next spring with my husband for 3 nights. Most likely in May.

Main points of interest will be a Cardinals game and the Gateway Arch. I have a couple of questions:

Hotel: The Hyatt at the Arch as well as the Embassy Suites both look good for us. Any other hotels that should make the list? We want to be in close proximity to our main attractions. Id like to know if these and other hotels in the area have free breakfast and free wifi? Is St Louis a walkable city? and if we are in that core area near those 2 places is it safe?

Food: anything in St Louis a must eat? Nothing fancy.

Thanks!

St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
2,905 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: spring 2014

The Drury Inns have free breakfast and snacks/happy hour. You have those in Texas, so you probably know. If you stay away from downtown, parking is free.

Although you can certainly walk safely in the tourist friendly areas, I highly highly recommend having a car for your visit. My favorite thing about the city is the variety of great neighborhoods. The major tourist attractions besides the Arch are: City Museum (more playground and art showpiace than museum), Botanical Garden, Cathedral Basilica, Zoo, Anheuser-Busch. I recommend you visit three or four neighborhoods other than downtown. The Central West End, Delmar Loop and the Hill are popular for tourists.

Twio famous St. Louis foods are toasted ravioli and gooey butter cake. For restaurants, use Trip Advisor, Yelp and Urbanspoon to find some great places to eat. They are definitely spread out.

Good eats that fall under the "nothing fancy" category::

Blues City Deli

Riverbend

Broadway Oyster Bar

Sauce on the Side

Tigin

Benton Park Cafe

Pastaria

Pi Pizzeria

Dewey's

Vietnamese (Lemmon Grass, Pho Grand and many others)

Chinese (several very good places on Olive east of I-170)

There are so many great options, we'll give more if you help us narrow it down a bit.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,543 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: spring 2014

Wow, what a response. Thank you. We are driving from Texas so we will have our car. I guess I also need to figure out the cost of parking at these hotels. I say not fancy b/c on a lot of our trips we try to eat at the fancy places, and when I say fancy I mean, nice steakhouses or seafood, like the Capital Grille or places like that, not fancy French places. My level of fancy is a bit lower than others may be. Its probably the "Texan" in me. Thank you for the suggestions I have already been looking a bit through the restaurants on TA for suggestions but I do like to ask locals.

So, if we were to stay downtown and do a bit of walking we wont run into a terrible part of town by accident? I like to know the level of "safe." I am going into. Id walk all over Ft Worth by myself (not at night) but parts of downtown Dallas scare the daylights out of me.

Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: spring 2014

you don't need a car, yes its walkable, but it sounds like you will b terrified

4. Re: spring 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2014, 06:19