We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

downtown fine dining

Illinois
Level Contributor
100 posts
242 reviews
Save Topic
downtown fine dining

My husband and I will be in town November 24th for the Elton John Concert. We are staying at the Westin and would appreciate suggestions on a nice dining location. We will be celebrating our 23rd anniversary. I am gluten free so I can't eat pasta or fried foods.

Saint Louis...
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: downtown fine dining

Tonys is old school high end Italian. You could also consider Copia, or Prime 1000. Even older school would be Al's near the riverfront. Terrific private place is Blood and Sand, call and see if they will let you dine for a special occasion. One of the best combos of service, food, cocktails, and space in this part of the Midwest. You could also consider Eleven Eleven Mississippi or Element, both in the Lafayette Square neighborhood close to downtown.

Illinois
Level Contributor
100 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: downtown fine dining

Thank you!

St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
2,881 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: downtown fine dining

All of the above suggestions are good. We went to Tony's for my birthday recently and it was great. Figure $200ish for a meal with a bottle of wine, including tip. After dinner, you would walk over to the Hilton and have a couple of drinks at 360 - great views from this rooftop.

Carmine's and Cielo are also worth considering for an upscale meal downtown. We've had some excellent meals at Kemoll's and they might have a Groupon. It's another old school (Italian, but known for their mussels app).

St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
978 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: downtown fine dining

I'll give another second to Tony's, and it is an easy walk from your hotel. They are Italian themed but will have gluten free choices. Check out Urbanspoon for recent diners' reviews. Another option is Sidney Street cafe in the Soulard / Benton Park area, though you'll need to drive or cab it. Cielo, at the Four Seasons, is another good choice, though I've only eaten outside in good weather.

Happy belated birthday, TTT. Does Tony's still require a coat for men when dining there?

Edited: 31 October 2013, 21:20
St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
2,881 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: downtown fine dining

Yes, Tony's does require a jacket - they keep some in a closet if you don't have one.

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
491 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: downtown fine dining

Tony's is really old school. I think Cielo would be fabulous. Blood and Sand is also AMAZING. Both of these places could easily accommodate GF diet.

7. Re: downtown fine dining

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2014, 05:17