We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions About 3 Generations Visiting

Which Saint Louis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Indianapolis
Level Contributor
114 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Questions About 3 Generations Visiting

Thinking about coming to St. Louis with my parents (mid-60s) and kids (DS12 and DDalmost 10) this spring break in late March. We have all been there before, but it has been a few years and the kids don't really remember. I have a few questions...

-I really want to get to the City Museum, which none of us have visited, but I'm wondering if it's an okay place to take my parents. My dad is very active and would do anything with the kids, but my mom will need to sit and rest sometimes. Are there benches throughout the museum so my mom can sit and watch the rest of us if she needs to?

-I'm looking at a very cute vacation rental in St. Charles. Knowing that it would require travel time into St. Louis, is that an okay place to stay? Looks like there's a Lewis & Clark museum there (DS12 is a huge history buff). Anything else to see or do in that area?

-We'd love to visit the zoo but know that the weather that time of year is iffy. If I remember correctly, Grant's Farm is not open that time of year (we haven't been there either). What are some other indoor places to visit if the weather doesn't cooperate? We've done the Arch (ride and museum), so I'm not sure we'll want to do that again.

St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions About 3 Generations Visiting

A lot of grandparents enjoy the City Museum both for it's artistic creations, historic touches and watching the kids have the time of their life. If they're fairly mobile, they can do a bit of climbing around as well. I say go for it.

St. Charles is fine. Main Street St. Charles is the main attraction and it's worth a visit, although there's not a lot for kids - craft, jewelry, antique shops, cobblestone streets and historic buildings.

Other indoor places: History Museum and Art Museum in Forest Park; Cathedral Basilica (a must-see, even if only for a half-hour), Old Courthouse, Science Center, the St. Louis room in the beautiful restored library is great for history buffs. They recently had and may still have, an excellent exhibition on the great tornado of 1896. The Anheuser-Busch tour is part inside with walking between the buildings. Meramec Caverns is about an hour down I-44.

Edited: 13 November 2013, 13:40
Missouri
Level Contributor
44 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions About 3 Generations Visiting

At the Botanical Garden some things will be blooming outdoors missouribotanicalgarden.org/gardens-gardenin…

Indoors, some of the camellias may be blooming (i think they peak in Feb) and the Climatron is always interesting. I think kids would be interested in the jungle there.

St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
975 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions About 3 Generations Visiting

I'll second TTT's list of indoor places. The cathedral basilica is very impressive, as is the newly restored downtown library.

Winter is one of the best times to visit the zoo, and you actually have a good chance of getting decent weather in late March. Many of the animals are more lively in the cooler weather.

Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions About 3 Generations Visiting

don't stay in st charles

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
472 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions About 3 Generations Visiting

If your focus is Lewis and Clark, there is a large riverfront statue of Lewis, Clark, and their huge newfoundland dog. Your kids will get a kick out of that.

Hartford IL also has a Lewis and Clark museum, and a few miles away are really cool observation towers.

Back in St. Charles is the Old State Capitol Building. For $4 you get a lot of information about settling the state of Missouri

Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions About 3 Generations Visiting

And don't forget to cross the river to Illinois. Sounds like your group might really appreciate Cahokia Mounds (http://www.cahokiamounds.org/). Though in Collinsville, IL, it's only 15 minutes from downtown St. Louis, which is closer than a lot of the above mentioned places in St. Louis actually are.

BTW, I think March is a great time to visit the zoo. You'll find the animals actually active during the day because the weather is mild. In the summer they just lay around trying to escape the heat.

Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions About 3 Generations Visiting

Also, depending on how late in March, you might want to see if Hidden Valley is still open. Located not far from Meramec Caverns, it offers skiing, snowboarding, and SNOW TUBING!!

www.hiddenvalleyski.com/polar_plunge.html

Illinois
Level Contributor
94 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions About 3 Generations Visiting

The Science Center is always a fun place for the family and is very close to the zoo if the weather is ok.

The City Musuem is great for all ages. We took a group of 5 children once and put them all in bright shirts that matched. It was much easier to spot them because there are so many places they can explore.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
7,712 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions About 3 Generations Visiting

Hi am2indy, my husband and I are in our mid sixties and have been taking our grandkids to City Museum for more years than I could count. We love going there, although my husband has had to slow down a bit on the climbing due to a bad knee. I will still do just about anything with the kids - climbing through the slinkies, down a hole to see where it goes, etc. City Museum is a fascinating place and while it does require a certain amount of mobility to experience all of it, there are areas where your mom can sit and rest. Your kids will undoubtedly consider CM to be the highlight of your visit. Allow plenty of time, there is a lot to see and do there.

jrj
Level Contributor
130 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions About 3 Generations Visiting

Why not?