We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some Weather questions from the land of sun!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,221 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Some Weather questions from the land of sun!

I have lived my entire life in Colorado and New Mexico, so have no real idea how weather is in St Louis in early April. According to wunderground.com extended forecast has rain and partly cloudy (I know it is too far in advance to know for sure) with a few days at 70% chance of rain. Here in NM that could be 3 drops of rain somewhere in the state, but in St Louis, will this be certain rain and gloom? Not that I won't mind some humidity, but since we don't own rain coats and the umbrella is missing, I need to plan, lol!!! Our schedule is flexible, but we do have Cardinals baseball April 8 night game, heavy jackets or fleece and rain shell?

Thanks. Looking forward to seeing the city!

Eureka, Missouri
Level Contributor
301 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some Weather questions from the land of sun!

If I were you I'd bring heavy jackets, fleece and a rain shell also short sleeved shirts- the weather can be that variable in the spring. If it rains it can be anywhere from a spring shower to a downpour. So just like hiking in the Rockies wear layers and peel accordingly.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,221 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some Weather questions from the land of sun!

Thanks so much! That is what I was thinking, good thing we have a big rolling duffel bag! I would love to be able to bring back rain as a souvenir, lol!

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
491 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some Weather questions from the land of sun!

No one can predict STL weather. It's unpredictable. It can be 28 one night and 70 the next day (that's today). Plan for all contingencies.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,221 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some Weather questions from the land of sun!

Yes rubyiu I totally understand the unpredictability of weather! But living in a drought stricken high desert area I have no idea what Midwest weather is like, lol! Just trying to get a handle on what to bring. Thanks, I'm looking forward to some different weather.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Some Weather questions from the land of sun!

bring everything from a bikini to a parka. There is no predicting St. Louis weather, especially this time of year. My best advice, after living here for 15 years is to bring layers.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
796 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Some Weather questions from the land of sun!

If it's a night game, plan on it being cold and damp.

St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
991 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Some Weather questions from the land of sun!

I concur. You can check as you get closer. Right now 40% chance can mean occasional showers during the day, but hopefully clear at game time. Likely cool at game time, probably in the 40s. Jackets and some rain protection is advised. You could luck out if the rain is moving through more quickly. Wednesday is supposed to be partly cloudy, a little warmer.

It was supposed to be in the 70s today, but never got above 65. Plus, got woke up at 5:30 with a tornado warning.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,221 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Some Weather questions from the land of sun!

Thanks everyone. I will skip the bikini for most of St Louis' sake, lol! Layers it will be, better find that rain jacket and those umbrellas! Current forecast looks like lots of rain on Monday, the Cardinals home opener. If there is a rainout, will they play that game the next day as doubleheader? We have tickets for the night game on Tuesday night. Just curious how that works, since we don't usually get rain and we don't have a MLB team here.

Is early April considered tornado season or was the tornado this morning part of our "new" weather scenario with totally wacky weather?

St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
991 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Some Weather questions from the land of sun!

I'm not sure on the rain out rescheduling. We don't have that many. The field drains pretty quick, and they get in most games. If it is rained out, it 's possible they could reschedule to the following day. Though, just as likely they'll postpone to later in the season.

Spring is tornado season. Pretty common when blocks of cold air come into contact with warmer humid air.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
796 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Some Weather questions from the land of sun!

Our tornado sirens went off yesterday morning, it rained all day , and the sirens went off again last night. If it pours down before the game, grab a towel or rag and take it with u to the game. The seats may need to be dried off.

The good news- the new Ballpark Village is open and it's a good place to hang out.

Our unpredictable weather is the reason we never buy tix until the day of the game. ( i realize you can't do that being out of town).

Edited: 04 April 2014, 13:56