We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safe areas in st louis.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Topic
safe areas in st louis.

I plan to travel to st louis this weekend from thursday through Saturday. From what I read north side of town is not safe?? Is st louis downtown or any suburbs nearby that I can trust? I have my wife my 7 year old son my 16 year old daughter and I. Im looking for $ 130 or less per night. Also any cant miss places to go too?

St. Louis MO
Level Contributor
830 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safe areas in st louis.

Not trying to be rude as this is a frequent rant of mine on this forum. Just type in "safe" in the search bar above for St. Louis Forums and you'll get plenty of information about where not to go. (Yes, the north side is a rough area.)

Part of the reason that St. Louis is perceived by the rest of the country to be a crime-ridden hellhole that is dangerous to visit is that the city itself is actually pretty small physically when compared to the rest of the St. Louis metropolitan area. This map will kind of give you an idea.

…wikimedia.org/wikipedia/…St_Louis_MSA.png

Plus the city itself is it's own county that is politically separate that "St. Louis County" so that skews statistics that are reported in the media. If you compare metropolitan area vs metropolitan area, St. Louis on the whole has lower crime rates than other metro areas that people think are safer.

If you're worried about your visit and the safety of your family during your visit to St. Louis, don't be. Now be careful/aware of your surroundings and use common sense: but don't be scared and expecting the worse when visiting St. Louis.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safe areas in st louis.

Gotta love a guy from Chicago asking if St. Louis is safe!

Any areas that people congregate for entertainment, food, etc. Are exceedingly safe.

St. Louis MO
Level Contributor
830 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: safe areas in st louis.

Chief58: it's some sort of combination of "funny" and "sad" (for us).

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: safe areas in st louis.

I meant no offense at all afterall I never been there, I was just curious of the best spots. Like you said I live in Chicago so I know that when they say a city isnt safe it does not mean the entire city. I live in the northwest side of Chicago which is considered safe

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: safe areas in st louis.

Once again Im sorry I may have upset you all didn't mean to at all. So of these suburbs I'm reading about like Fenton, Chesterfield, Brentwood and the other suburbs I've read about which of these suburbs are the closest to let's say downtown St Louis since Im assuming I wont be able to find much under $130 in downtown? Any other suburbs I didn't mention that you could recommend?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: safe areas in st louis.

For example if you had to choose between the Days Inn at 2810 N 9th St with two queen beds at $110 or the Comfort inn and Suites in Cahokia at 1607 Pontiac Dr for $86 which would you pick I also found a Drury Inn in Fenton for $107, however I don't know if they have free parking and those are double beds instead of Queens.

So taking into consideration safety and proximity to the city along with the prices and the brand of the hotel which would you all pick?

St. Louis MO
Level Contributor
830 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: safe areas in st louis.

The Days Inn "Downtown" is laughable is their calling that. Plus just read all the negative reviews.

The Comfort Inn Cahokia is close to downtown location-wise but is an uninteresting suburban/slightly industrial area.

Out of all these you've listed I'd say go with the Drury Inn-Fenton. Not an exciting area but it's a quick 20 minute drive back into downtown and the main attractions. Plus the reviews are good.

Parking is almost always going to be free in St. Louis outside of downtown St. Louis and downtown Clayton hotels.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: safe areas in st louis.

Thanks so much, is there any other hotels you can think of in any of the nearby cities at the cost im looking for that I havent found on my own?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: safe areas in st louis.

Now onto food, I am a huge foodie. Any restaurants to recommend? Ive heard about imo's and drewes custard and the butter cake. Im a huge burger fan and my kids like chicken. Any american dining restaurants you know of? Which is the best burger you have ever had?

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
8,573 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: safe areas in st louis.

When are you coming to St. Louis? We always stay at the Drury Plaza at the Arch, downtown, a five minute walk to the Arch, and also close to Busch Stadium, and we have never paid close to $130. But, if there is a Cardinal game going on, it will be more expensive - if you can even get a room there.

I love Drury hotels, they are always our first choice. Hot buffet breakfast, 'happy hour' from 5:30 - 7:00 each night with adult beverages and 'snack food' that makes a meal - chicken nuggets, baked potatoes, hot dogs, chili, etc. We save a lot of money when we travel with our grandkids by eating at the hotel.

But if you are a foodie, I'm sure you want to go to restaurants. Imo's pizza is the best I have ever eaten!

Get answers to your questions about Saint Louis