We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chicago to Texas via St Louis - too ambitious in January?

Which Saint Louis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
West Kirby, United...
Level Contributor
106 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Chicago to Texas via St Louis - too ambitious in January?

Fly into Chicago on Sat 27th January. 2 days in Chicago.

Take the Texas Eagle (train) from Chicago to St Louis (MO) on Monday 29 Jan around 2ish, gets in at 7.35pm

Couple of nights in St Louis

From St Louis to Dallas on 31 Jan/1Feb (overnight in sleeper carriage on train) 1 Feb in Dallas

Dallas to San Antonio on 2 Feb

2 days in San Antonio - Alamo etc (3/4 Feb)

Mon night -to Wed day (5-7 Feb) (Dude Ranch) - possibly Dixie Dude Ranch. This would leave Wed-Fri/Sat in Houston (hopefully to visit a friend from the UK)

Fly out of Houston on Saturday overnight bringing me back to the UK on Sunday11 Feb.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
534 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chicago to Texas via St Louis - too ambitious in January?

It doesn't leave much time to sightsee so I would plan ahead on what attractions to visit. Traveling by train will help you avoid slick roads in case the weather is bad but they sometimes experience delays due to track maintenance, etc.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chicago to Texas via St Louis - too ambitious in January?

Well, not to knock St. Louis, but would urge more time in Texas that time of the year. You will probably fins at least a 15 degree difference in temps between St. Louis and Dallas, with things getting warmer as you head to San Antonio.

I would also suggest spending time in Austin, as there is a great deal to see and do. My bias, since I live there, but Austin is a really special place.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
416 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chicago to Texas via St Louis - too ambitious in January?

Sounds like a great trip along the Texas Eagle line. IMO, the only thing you might want to consider is the amount of time you will be in Chicago. You have only allowed for 1 full day. (The first day you will mostly likely be jet lagged and on the third day the Texas Eagle leaves early in the afternoon). Chicago is a great city with so much to do, you will probly wish you had another full day. But then again, after a couple days there you may be ready to head for the warmer weather of Texas! lol

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chicago to Texas via St Louis - too ambitious in January?

You'll definitely want more time in Chicago. 7 days really isn't enough to see all that the city has to offer, it's one of the largest cities in the country and has a ton of history.

5. Re: Chicago to Texas via St Louis - too ambitious in January?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 11:20