We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

National Bison Range

michigan
Level Contributor
234 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
National Bison Range

We have been to Yellowstone several times and seen SEVERAL Bison. We will be in the Flathead area, with many things to do. Should we still include the National Bison Range? What about Nine Pipes?

I have also heard the we should include Swan Lake in our intinerary. Is there something specific we should do there?

Thanks

Pam

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,822 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: National Bison Range

I was just planning to submit a trip report of our day trip from GNP to the National Bison Range, so I hope it answers your question:

"We scheduled in a non-hiking day so we could drive down to the National Bison Range near Moiese. The drive along Flathead Lake was gorgeous and it took us about 2 hours to get there from West Glacier. The cost is $5 per car, but is no additional cost if you have a NPS annual pass. The Visitor’s Center contained some excellent exhibits. Don’t miss the wall of “dots” depicting the number of buffalo in 1850 as opposed to today and the “stack of racks” outside. There is also a relief map showing where the bison herds are on that particular day so you know where to look for them on the loop road. (There are supposed to be about 400 head of bison on this reserve, but we only saw about 40-50 head.) It took us about 2 hours to drive the loop and, in addition to having a bison herd walk around our car, we spotted deer, antelope and elk. There are a couple places where you can get out of the car for short hikes and we did the one to the highest point in the park—good hike, great views! There is a large, well-maintained picnic area in the park where we enjoyed our picnic lunch. If you can devote a day from your GNP trip, I highly recommend the National Bison Range."

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: National Bison Range

Here's a trip report with pictures from our visit out there.

www.alandsuejohnson.com/bison_reserve.htm

We had time so we went even though we were just leaving Yellowstone. On the whole, I wouldn't interrupt an otherwise busy day for the trip.

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,829 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: National Bison Range

I have to agree with AKJ. The Bison Range is informative and a very nice drive if you have extra time, but I wouldn't give up other things on your "to see" list to visit it.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: National Bison Range

Nice that they added the "where are the bison today" feature. When we went, they were all at the far end of the drive.

It is a pretty place but you'll already have seen more bison in YNP, doing all kinds of unrestricted bison kinds of things (sitting around and eating, mostly).

5. Re: National Bison Range

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Bigfork