We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to Stay in Billings Please

UK
Level Contributor
129 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Where to Stay in Billings Please

We are having a vacation in Yellowstone and Grand Teton area in July and are hoping to stay for the last two nights in Billings before we board our plane from Billings Airport back to the UK.

We would like some advice about the area to stay in. Should we stay downtown and explore Billings on foot and have access to good restaurants? or should we stay around the Laurel Road area?

If we stay in the Laurel Road area can we reach downtown on foot? What are the 'must see' sites in Billings? We have got Moss Mansion down on our itinerary already but what else is there?

I have looked at the reviews on TripAdvisor and Expedia but I can't make up my mind! Help!

The Rimrocks
Geologic Formations
Moss Mansion
Speciality Museums
Pictograph Cave State Park
Historic Sites, State Parks, Points of Interest & Landmarks
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
87 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to Stay in Billings Please

HI - the Sheraton is a really nice place to stay in Billings. We went over to the Battle of Little Bighorn - very interesting place, and only took about an hour from Billings to get there..Really worth a visit!!

Sturgis
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to Stay in Billings Please

If you like history, in addition to seeing the Little Big Horn, I would recommend seeing Pompey's Pillar east of Billings. It is a nice landmark from the Lewis and Clark expedition. There is also a buffalo jump near Billings that is supposed to be interesting. The Moss Mansion is a must. The last time I was in Billings, the Sheraton was pretty much the only thing right down town. There are several smaller hotels near the hospitals. The majority of the other hotels are right off the interstate and you can't walk to anything from them.

http://www.pompeyspillar.org/

UK
Level Contributor
129 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to Stay in Billings Please

Thanks for the advice. Now I am wondering if we would be better staying an extra night in Cody and just catch the flight back from Billings to the UK. Is it worth 2 nights in Billings?

Sturgis
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to Stay in Billings Please

Cody is probably a little more scenic, but if you're debating to fly from Billings or Cody, Billings is a bigger city. I would check out the local newspaper to see what activities are going on. Billingsgazette.com

I have only been to Cody once, so I can't be of any help on that subject. Their newspaper is http://codyenterprise.com/

UK
Level Contributor
129 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to Stay in Billings Please

Thanks for the links. If you have any other tips please post.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to Stay in Billings Please

Hi,

I would suggest staying in Red Lodge, Montana for 1 night on your way back from Yellowstone. Red Lodge is the Billings end of the Beartooth Highway, though I'd take the road early in the day to beat the July tourist traffic through Yellowstone. I'd probably stay at the Pollard Hotel, downtown Red Lodge, where you can walk around, dine, etc. Then it's a 1 hour drive to Billings, where you can either stay at the Crowne Plaza (formerly Sheraton) downtown or in less expensive digs like the Dude Rancher (parking outside rooms, but still nice) downtown. I would definately recommend staying downtown, and would add that I've also seen a bed and breakfast in the area. Moss Mansion, Yellowstone Art Museum, several other historical museums, and it's a 5 minute drive from downtown to the airport. McCormick's or Stella's are great breakfast spots (walkable), and there are several very nice dinner restaurants as well. There are several clear trails at the top of the Rimrocks, and you might take a morning walk atop the rims for a clear view of the mountains you've just returned from! Hope this is helpful......

UK
Level Contributor
129 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to Stay in Billings Please

Thank you so much for your reply it was just what I needed to make a decision.

Poconos
Level Contributor
297 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to Stay in Billings Please

I hope I'm not too late...PLEASE, PLEASE PLEASE take this advice and avoid the Dude Rancher Motel in downtown Billings - it's a total disaster (see the reviews section).

9. Re: Where to Stay in Billings Please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 15:16