We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Custer Country to Yellowstone

Washington, D.C.
2 posts
Save Topic
Custer Country to Yellowstone

Hello - we are traveling from the Rapid City area to Yellowstone this coming September, and seeing the sights along the way. Right before we drop down into the National Park, we are staying over in the Billings, Montana area. We just need a quick, clean hotel -- I imagine we don't even need to go into Billings. Might anyone know if the Holiday Inn Express on Cole Street would be a good choice? Thanks!

Montana
Level Contributor
107 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Custer Country to Yellowstone

The Holiday Inn Express is a newer hotel, but it is located essentially all by itself east of Billings. Not much is around it. The challenge there is getting something to eat at night. I believe just one smaller restaurant is near there. Another suggestion would be to take the South Billings exit 447 off I-90. The Sleep-Inn, Days-Inn and Motel 8 are located just off this exit. You would be much closer to "restaurant row" on King Avenue in Billings. Hope this helps.

Washington, D.C.
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Custer Country to Yellowstone

Thanks --good thoughts-- since we do like to eat! I'm now rethinking our route, and considering a stop over in Sheridan, rather than trying to make it all the way to Billings. So many decisions!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,673 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Custer Country to Yellowstone

We are going from the Mt. Rushmore area to stop over in Sheridan, Wyoming before we make our way to Gardiner, Mt. to tour Yellowstone. We are then going to Cody (because the rodeo doesn't start until June 1 and we will start our trip in May)and then back thru Yellowstone to Jackson Hole. The Yellowstone Village Inn is a good choice for Gardiner and Cody Cowboy Village is a good choice for Cody. We are staying at the Wingate in Sheridan. It has nice restaurants close by. Good luck with your plans.

Whidbey Island...
Level Contributor
140 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Custer Country to Yellowstone

If you want to get off the Interstate and see some beautiful country, take Highway 212 from Belle Fourche, SD to Little Big Horn Battlefield, MT. The route is actually less distance than taking I-90 from the Black Hills to Billings. Wide open ranchland, small ranching communities, lots of wild life. About midway is the town of Broadus - nice place to stop and stretch the legs. Fantastic museum with great vintage clothes, western tack and arrowhead collection. Only 2.5-3 hours from Billings.

Also, the C'mon Inn on the King Ave. West exit in Billings is nice and easy access to the Interstate going to YNP.

Enjoy!

5. Re: Custer Country to Yellowstone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 08:28