We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Billings, MT or Sheridan, WY to Yellowstone NP

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
232 posts
298 reviews
Save Topic
Billings, MT or Sheridan, WY to Yellowstone NP

Which is the most scenic route to travel? Both roads good?

I have a choice of staying in Sheridan or Billings on my way to Yellowstone NP around the first of September.

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
32,801 posts
466 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Billings, MT or Sheridan, WY to Yellowstone NP

We were going to stay in Sheridan on our way from the Black Hills to YNP but decided to make it all the way to Billings for the night. Sheridan is a small town and Billings is much larger and has lots more choices for hotels and restaurants. We then made our way to YNP/GTNP and then on to Cody.

Mentioned in this post
Sheridan
Sheridan
Wyoming
The Black Hills
The Black Hills
South Dakota
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Billings, MT or Sheridan, WY to Yellowstone NP

My preference would be the road from Billings. That road will take you through Red Lodge and over the Beartooth Highway, which is very scenic.

Mentioned in this post
Red Lodge
Red Lodge
Montana
Beartooth Highway
Beartooth Highway
435 Reviews
Montana
Florida
Level Contributor
32 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Billings, MT or Sheridan, WY to Yellowstone NP

Billings, then you can take the Beartooth Highway which is beautiful.

Billings MT
Level Contributor
14 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Billings, MT or Sheridan, WY to Yellowstone NP

I am biased because I live in Billings. Definitely more restaurant and lodging options than Sheridan. I think I read a review on this site about a hotel in Sheridan next to the railroad track...I maybe wrong. I'd recommend checking the Park's website about road closures in the park or scheduled closures. It seems like the park is always closing roads for construction. That may influence which entrance you choose to go through (Northeast, North, East, or West).

My favorite is to the Northeast Entrance via Red Lodge, over the Beartooth Pass. You won't forget that drive. Very scenic (google it). My second favorite is the North Entrance through Gardner because you get to Mammoth Hot Springs right away. Have a fun trip!

Edited: 18 June 2010, 00:52
Mentioned in this post
Sheridan
Sheridan
Wyoming
Red Lodge
Red Lodge
Montana
Beartooth Pass
Beartooth Pass
206 Reviews
Montana
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
232 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Billings, MT or Sheridan, WY to Yellowstone NP

I have decided to stay in Billings. I could not get excited about the motels in Sheridan, WY.

Thanks for input

Mentioned in this post
Sheridan
Sheridan
Wyoming
western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Billings, MT or Sheridan, WY to Yellowstone NP

If your ultimate destination is Cody, there is no real reason to go to Billings.

If possible, I'd stay in Red Lodge over Billings for a YNP trip. It is just another hour past Billings.

Mentioned in this post
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Red Lodge
Red Lodge
Montana
Billings
Billings
Montana
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
232 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Billings, MT or Sheridan, WY to Yellowstone NP

Don't need to go to Cody, have been there. Lodging in Red Lodge wasn't good for our travel dates. But we will be driving through Red Lodge on the way to the Canyon area of Yellowstone NP.

Mentioned in this post
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Red Lodge
Red Lodge
Montana
8. Re: Billings, MT or Sheridan, WY to Yellowstone NP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2010, 05:16