We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

**Help** Transport Billings to Yellowstone Nat`l Park.

Santa Catarina
6 posts
Save Topic
**Help** Transport Billings to Yellowstone Nat`l Park.

Jun 15, 2011, 4:20 PM

I am a brazilian tourist heading for Yellowstone Nat`l Park where I intend to camp for one week.As I should arrive firstly in Billings airport I would like to know if there are regular bus services available linking Billings to the northeast entrance of the park. I intend not to take a" tour bus" from Billings to the park as I will have enough time later to visit its attractions calmly over time. So the information I search is how could I get to the the parks entrance or to one of its campgrounds by ground transportation come from Billings. My arrival in Billings will be july 7th. Thank you very much in advance for your help!!! Peace, Cheers!

Du

Mentioned in this post
Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
6,230 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: **Help** Transport Billings to Yellowstone Nat`l Park.

How do you plan on getting around once you're in Yellowstone Park? There is no public transportation in the park.

Unfortunately, there is no bus services from Billings to Yellowstone Park. About a year ago someone asked the same question and if I remember correctly we found a way to do it but it was very expensive and time consuming.

If you can't figure something out and have no problem catching a ride with a total stranger I might be able to take you into the park. I'll be camping with my family until July 6th but I'm sure I could talk my grandson into taking a daytrip into the park onthe 7th or 8th..

Deb

Edited: 15 June 2011, 23:13
western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: **Help** Transport Billings to Yellowstone Nat`l Park.

I think you can take a Greyhound bus from Billings to Bozeman, then take Karst Stage (another bus) to West Yellowstone or Mammoth Hot Springs. To get to the Greyhound station from the airport in Billings, take a taxi down 27th Street. Again, too far to walk. There is no bus to town from the airport (and no trains at all, in case you're wondering).

Between West and Mammoth, I would pick Mammoth since it is inside the park. Do you have a place to stay? There will be no rooms available unless you're lucky. There are walk up campsites but you need some gear to camp.

I think you will need to take one of the bus or van tours to see anything. There is no other way to get around, other than possibly hitchhiking. That's not very common around here.

Mentioned in this post
Bozeman
Bozeman
Montana
Mammoth Hot Springs
Mammoth Hot Springs
1,656 Reviews
Yellowstone National Park, WY
Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,230 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: **Help** Transport Billings to Yellowstone Nat`l Park.

This is a May 2009 thread I was referring to:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28947-i982-k28286…

Deb

Santa Catarina
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: **Help** Transport Billings to Yellowstone Nat`l Park.

Dear Deb and Ainwa. Thank you very much for your kind attention! Actually it would not be a problem for me to take a ride to get to YNP.It would be good funl! I just would have to struggle to get another ride back to Billings airport or perhaps take a bus to a city and then take another bus to Billings1 week later. Although I am a quite careful driver I don`t feel very confortable driving when I am abroad. So perhaps another option I have is to try to search quickly a tour company which takes tourists for a 4 or 5 day stay which is the period I was expecting to be there. Don`t know if there are tour groups remaining there for such a time. Usually they stay shorter periods of time, I guess. Actually I look forward to knowing this place for many many years and it would be frustrating to be there for 1 or 2 days...I would like to camp in the park but I still worry if the tour companies just accept clients wishing to buy their "whole package" ( hotel+ transportation). Deb it would be a possibility to take a ride from your grandson. Actually my plane arrives in Billings in july 7th & I will have to spend the night in the city and follow the journey the day after ( july 8th).You asked me how I plan on getting around in the park. I was planning on walking or taking buses ( now I know there aren`t) or a ride from a camp to the other... I was imagining that as it is a very famous park there would be an excellent & modern transport system inside the park. OMG. I guess I am in trouble. lol Deb & ainwa again thank you so much for your kind attention and interest. Peace. Carlos

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,230 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: **Help** Transport Billings to Yellowstone Nat`l Park.

Yikes!!!! You do have an dilemma! Do you have camping gear? Backpacking gear?

I think the reason Yellowstone has never gone a public transportation shuttle system is that it is so big that the cost to provide a shuttle service flexible enough to meet the needs would be huge. There are about 350 miles of road in the park. Glacier National Park has a shuttle system bu they only have one road in the park that is aobut 50 miles long. I would love to see a shuttle service because it would open up a lot more hiking possibilities for me. A lot of the dayhikes I'd like to take require leaving a car at the starting trailhead and another car at the ending trailhead. Or hiking along the road 10-12 miles to get back to your car.

Really the easiest thing for you to do is rent a car. It is really easy to get around the roads here in Montana and Yellowstone Park. It is very wide open and the distances are far between towns. Billings is the largest town in Montana and we only have 100,000 people!

There are lots of young adults working in the park that travel among the tourist areas on their days off. For example, from Canyon to Fishing Bridge it is just 16 miles. I've never seen a lot of hitchhiking in the park but I've seen a few people riding bicycles that are obviously workers. I imagine some bum rides off of other workers that have cars. I suppose you could talk to different workers once you're there and see if they know of anyone going to a different area and you could catch a ride with them.

If you need to camp at a campground where you are close to services, Canyon Campground would be the best. There are showers in the campground along with a small grocery store, diner, outdoor store, etc. Campground fees are $20 night w/out taxes. Campground fees at the more primitive campgrounds are $12 a night without taxes. All have water available but most have just pit toilets. Canyon would be a good base because it is the most centrally located.

If we did explore the possibilty of taking a daytrip into the park on July 8th and you catching a ride, I would be the driver as my grandson is only 12 years old. He is my Yellowstone camping/hiking buddy and has been for almost 8 years. We do a lot of daytrips and short camping trips (2-5 days) into the park. Last year we went 8 times and this Saturday will be our 4th trip of the year so far.

Deb

Edited: 16 June 2011, 02:13
Mentioned in this post
Montana
Montana
United States
Yellowstone Park Hotel
Yellowstone Park Hotel
626 Reviews
West Yellowstone, MT
western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: **Help** Transport Billings to Yellowstone Nat`l Park.

I have heard with all the visitor pressure they are seriously looking at bus services within the parks. Also as a goal to reduce auto emissions and congestion. Yosemite is getting one this summer, I think. That park is very small compared to Yellowstone, like you say.

It would be a great idea for hikes, wouldn't it? I so much prefer not having to hike out the way I hiked in.

Carlos, be sure to talk to the staff at the various lodges. They are from all over the place.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Catarina
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: **Help** Transport Billings to Yellowstone Nat`l Park.

Hi Deb! How are you? Hope you had a good time again in YNP. I have seen your photos... they are very interesting and I c ould have a good idea of what is waiting for me. There is a web site about beartooth highway that is also quite helpful ( maps & hints) besides amazing photos. www.beartoothhighway.com By the way do you know if it`s easy to get fuel when you are in the park? And should I buy some food in Billings or NYC before I head to Yellowstone Park or that grocery store in canyon campground will probably be enough? Cheers! Peace.

Carlos

Mentioned in this post
Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,230 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: **Help** Transport Billings to Yellowstone Nat`l Park.

Since you are now going to rent a car I would suggest buying a cooler in Billings along with some groceries there. It will be cheaper. There are two Walmarts in Billings but it would be easier to go to the one in Laurel. Walmart has a camping section so if you need any other supplies for your trip you can buy them there too. You will get on Interstate 90 west and drive about 15 miles to the town of Laurel where you will take the exit to get on Highway 212 to go to Red Lodge and the Beartooth Pass. You will see the Walmart on the right side of the interstate right before the exit. Once you're off the exit turn right and then turn right at the first light and drive back to the Walmart. When you leave you'll retrace your drive, go over the interstate and continue on Highway 212 approx 50 miles to Red Lodge.

If the Laurel Walmart has block ice buy it as it will last longer. You can buy both block and cubed ice in the park at all gas stations, grocery stores, and various ice kiosks at each "village" in the park. The grocery stores are small and have a limited variety of food items. The items will also be more expensive so if you can buy stuff outside the park you will be better off.

If you fill up your car's tank in Billings you will be good until you get into the park. Gas was $4.09 for regular gas inside the park. If you feel nervous about not having enough gas you can fill the tank back up at Red Lodge- there is easily accessable gas station just as you get into town on the left side of the road. Do not get gas at Cooke City it was $4.25 a gallon there. The first gas station after entering the northeast entrance at Cooke City is at the Tower/Roosevelt junction (29 miles). There is a gas station Canyon, Fishing Bridge, Grant, Old Faithful, and Mammoth. Most gas stations have a small variety of food items that you can buy too. Once again more expensive then buying it outside the park (I paid $1.99 for a bottle of Diet Coke- if I bought the same bottle here in Billings I'd pay $1.50).

Deb

Mentioned in this post
Red Lodge
Red Lodge
Montana
Beartooth Pass
Beartooth Pass
206 Reviews
Montana
Old Faithful
Old Faithful
3,947 Reviews
Yellowstone National Park, WY
Billings
Billings
Montana
Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: **Help** Transport Billings to Yellowstone Nat`l Park.

I'm glad you decided to rent a car - I think it will make your trip much more enjoyable. The roads you will be on are straightforward and you should be fine.

Since you are staying the night in Billings, you can take your time on the Beartooth Highway and getting to Yellowstone. It is a beautiful drive and you will be tempted to pull over multiple times - so it's good to have plenty of time and not feel rushed. You will also be passing through Red Lodge. Cafe Regis is good stop for breakfast/lunch. And the best candy store I've ever been to is in Red Lodge - The Montana Candy emporium. It's a fun, quick stop on your through.

Enjoy your trip!

Sidenote: Given the popularity of Yellowstone and all the traffic jams/congestion/emissions I'm not surprised the park is looking at possible transportation options.

Mentioned in this post
Beartooth Highway
Beartooth Highway
435 Reviews
Montana
Red Lodge
Red Lodge
Montana
Cafe Regis
Cafe Regis
320 Reviews
Red Lodge, MT
Montana
Montana
United States
Park City, MT
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: **Help** Transport Billings to Yellowstone Nat`l Park.

This company does tours from Billings to Yellowstone and through Yellowstone

montanafunadventures.com/index.php…

Mentioned in this post