We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Little Big Horn Battlefield

Tweed Heads...
3 posts
Save Topic
Little Big Horn Battlefield

Hi. My partner and I are visiting from Australia in early December, and are planning to drive from Billings, to Rapid City, and up to Bismarck and want to visit the Little Big Horn Battlefield as well as the Sitting Bull monument sites.

I am wondering is it going to be ok to drive and see these things at this time of the year? and will there be snow around then? We are not used to snow driving or conditions.

Any suggestions here would help.

indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Little Big Horn Battlefield

Yes, there will be snow. On occasion the interstates can be closed during snow storms, so you should be prepared.

Orange, California
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Little Big Horn Battlefield

What hikes didn't say is that it is just as likely to have 50 to 60F temperatures as it is to have snow on the ground. The interstates do close on rare occassions but just that - rarely.

Tweed Heads...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Little Big Horn Battlefield

Thanks for the info everyone. I really want to see the battlefield, Mt Rushmore, and Sitting Bull monument in Mobridge. Any suggestions on how else to do this? Or do you think it is safe enough to just check the weather before driving. It's only about 4 hrs between stops?

How suddenly can snow storms hit?

Billings MT
Level Contributor
72 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Little Big Horn Battlefield

With the stops that you want to make, driving is probably your only option. From Billings to Little Big Horn Battlefield, it's 75 miles so that's about an hour depending on how fast you drive. From the battlefield to Mt. Rushmore it's going to be about 5 hours. Based on Mapquest, the drive from Rapid City to Mobridge is about 4 1/2 hours. If you just keep an eye on the weather reports, you should be fine. Usually if there is going to be a snowstorm, they can predict it a few days in advance. If you do have a day when it is snowing, you might want to stay put because traveling on the roads during a snow storm can be dangerous. Usually once the storm passes the roads get plowed and then driving isn't really too bad. Roads can close during a storm, but they usually open up after the storm passes and the plows get out. You just have to drive with caution, because snow covered roads can be slippery. But like billybobbiff said, it's just as likely that the weather will be decent and you won't have any snow. In early December, it could go either way.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Little Big Horn Battlefield

You just have to plan on unscheduled stops. It could happen. There are towns with motels along the way, such as Sheridan and Buffalo, WY.

The visitors center at the battlefield should be open, which is the main thing. If you bring snow boots you could walk part of the battlefield, but the battle didn't occur in winter so it will look different. It is in a part of the state where wind blows the snow off, so you'll be able to see some landmarks even if it has snowed.

Tweed Heads...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Little Big Horn Battlefield

Thanks everyone. Your comments were really useful. I have been and returned already now. Had a great time, and it did lightly snow. I took a flight from Denver directly into Sheridan (on a little Great Lakes 19seater plane - that was scarey!). Luckily nobody warned me about the size of the plane or I may not have gone. Anyway, we arrived to some beautiful light snow in Sheridan (I have never seen snow so I was thrilled). The next day was as clear as a bell and we saw the battlefield with only a little snow on it and it was great!

The only thing I didn't plan on was not being able to drive the rental car one way from Sheridan across to Rapid City. I didn't realize that Sheridan was only a small town. Had to get another plane to Bismarck, and then was able to hire a car to drive from North Dakota to South Dakota (to see the Sitting Bull memorials), and then over to Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse. I had originally planned to drive from Sheridan and go across the other way.

All in all a Great trip and loved the scenery of the Black Hills, especially with the light amount of snow we encountered.

7. Re: Little Big Horn Battlefield

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 04:17