We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sheridan to Billings off to cody question

PA
Level Contributor
806 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sheridan to Billings off to cody question

Leaving Sheridan to Billings then off to Red Lodge to stay the night before off to Cody and Mammoth Hot Spring. So question is do I really need to stay at Red Lodge will I be missing something or just head off to Cody. So that extra night I may need to find a hotel around Mammoth Hot Springs Can we spend a whole day there??. We will be spending a full day in Cody. Next stop Old Faithful. So confussing Had my whole trip plan but cant come down Beartooth Pass its closed from Red Lodge. Leaving in 2 weeks Hope im making sense lol Thanks

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
20,577 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sheridan to Billings off to cody question

So...I answered your question on the Road Trip forum. I guess I am confused. Were you planning to go Sheridan ->Billings -> Mammoth -> Cody -> Old Faithful? Or Sheridan ->Billings -> Cody-> Mammoth-> Old Faithful?

Are you planning to spend time at Little Big Horn between Sheridan and Billings? Were you looking at an overnight at Billings, or was that just a stop along the route to your prior plan of Red Lodge?

Pam

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,412 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Sheridan to Billings off to cody question

Dobby.....if you go to this thread it will answer a lot of your questions.

tripadvisor.com/…57801828

Deb

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,412 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Sheridan to Billings off to cody question

Dallas,

You originally posted that your dad wanted to go to Montana and you also said you wanted to see the Little Bighorn Battlefield. In that thread we worked out a possible itinerary that would work those two wishes into your trip with your parents.

Do you have to go through Billings and stay overnight in Red Lodge before continuing on to Cody? No

If you want to to just tour Little Bighorn Battlefield you can drive there from Sheridan, tour it and drive back to Sheridan (actually you will get off of I90 at Ranchester) and then over to Cody.

If you want to totally take Montana and Little Bighorn Battlefield off your itinerary then you will go to Cody directly from Sheridan (again you actually get off I90 at Ranchester which is a little ways north of Sheridan).

Deb

Edited: 30 April 2014, 15:08
Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,412 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Sheridan to Billings off to cody question

I posted on April 21 that there was no way that Beartooth Pass would be opened when you were making your trip. When you said that you still wanted to get a "drive into Montana" and Little Bighorn Battlefield worked into your trip, I came up with a way for you to do that and get back to Cody before entering Yellowstone Park.

So I guess I don't understand why you're posting this today >>>>So confussing Had my whole trip plan but cant come down Beartooth Pass its closed from Red Lodge. Leaving in 2 weeks Hope im making sense lol Thanks<<<<

Deb

Edited: 30 April 2014, 15:15
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,577 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sheridan to Billings off to cody question

Gosh Deb, I didn't key in to that thread from last week from the same poster. I had seen this one this morning.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12567-k7413584…

Pam

PA
Level Contributor
806 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Sheridan to Billings off to cody question

Deb hello I did go the way you suggested billings to red lodge but the closer it gets I'm just thinking against red lodge and now thinking a night over somewhere else instead sorry so I will stay a night in Cody and a night outside of the hot Springs if we do the bighorn then go billings how far to go to Hot Springs for the night I assume I wouldn't come straight down to Cody but towards Bozeman ? And down I'm i in the right direction ? Again sorry I just don't know the area and I thank you greatly for ur time sandy

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,412 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Sheridan to Billings off to cody question

You told me that you had reservations for Old Faithful Inn on May 19th and that you wanted to be able to see Mammoth Hot Springs. I came up with a plan for you to be able to see everything on your and your dad's wishlist that made the best use of your time available and didn't have you driving all over the place in a random manner. Now it looks like you're wanting to go back to your original plans that have you driving all over the place.

I can only give suggestions based on living in Montana and traveling in the area all of my life. It is your vacation so in the end it is up to you what you want to do. Good luck in your plans. I sincerely hope everything works out for you.

Deb

Edited: 30 April 2014, 16:27
Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
320 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sheridan to Billings off to cody question

Dallas1 - you stated yourself that you don't know the area/distances and are confused about how to plan your trip. I can tell you flat out: when Deb1741 and Dobby talk - I listen! When planning trips to Montana, they have been a huge help to me (& others), directly & indirectly. My advice to you is to take their suggestions to heart. It will save you time & your trip will go/flow so much more smoothly. Good Luck to you.

PA
Level Contributor
806 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Sheridan to Billings off to cody question

Thanks I did take there suggestions and routes we leave weds and can't wait got it all figured out thanks to them

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,577 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sheridan to Billings off to cody question

We would love for you to post a Trip Report when you get back! Hoping you have fair weather and that you and your parents have a wonderful time.

LOL, Manitoba, thanks for the kind words.

Pam