We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for carved walking sticks in Bozeman.

Canada
Level Contributor
109 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for carved walking sticks in Bozeman.

I'm searching for a nice wood carved walking stick for my Dad for his 80th birthday. We're staying in Big Sky and there's nothing in the outfitter stores here. We may pop up to Bozeman for some shopping so are suggestions which stores would be likely to carry something like this? I know there are alot of stores on the main street and I don't really want to have to hit all of them.

We will also be going through West Yellowstone on Sunday again and then in Jackson later in the same day. Any good stores in those spots that would carry carved walking sticks?

Thanks, I'm runninng out of time!

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for carved walking sticks in Bozeman.

It would have to be some kind of an art gallery or a tourist shop. There are a few carvers but they seem to be located up near Glacier or out by Missoula.

Good luck with the search -- not too many places to go in West Yellowstone at least. Bozeman has a lot of places on Main Street that might be worth checking. There are a lot of artisans in the area so there's probably a walking stick somewhere.

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,613 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for carved walking sticks in Bozeman.

I just sent my aunt (she lives just outside of Bozeman in Belgrade) an email asking her. Hopefully, she will know of a place. If she does I'll let you know.

Deb

USA
Level Contributor
619 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for carved walking sticks in Bozeman.

The old fashioned hiking stick will be hard to find with light collapsible hiking poles being popular these days. If you decide to try Bozeman's downtown, the places you *might* find them (maybe call ahead first?) are the Powder Horn or Montana Gift Corral. Or they might know someone else who has them. An upscale gift shop will be more likely than a modern sporting goods store to have them, I think.

Exeter, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for carved walking sticks in Bozeman.

Did you ever find anything? I am looking for something similar for my own Dad who is 90.

Susan

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for carved walking sticks in Bozeman.

I found some in Laurel at an antiques/artisan type of place right on main street. They are pretty folksy and not fine art, but they're kinda cute. Should serve as a real walking stick. Laurel is by Billings on the way to Red Lodge.

If you're ever out in the Seattle area, there are a lot of carvers. Look for work by the Quil Ceda Carvers.

6. Re: Looking for carved walking sticks in Bozeman.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2011, 07:37
Get answers to your questions about Bozeman