We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fly fishing/horse riding outdoor life

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Fly fishing/horse riding outdoor life

My husband has always wanted to come to Montana. I am looking for somewhere which has beautiful scenery, fly fishing and horse riding. Have a young son (10) - is there family friendly accom, that provides good homecooking, as well as access to fly fishing and horse riding (ranch style would be great) - is Bozeman the place for this?

Mentioned in this post
Montana
Montana
United States
Bozeman
Bozeman
Montana
American Computer Museum
History Museums, Speciality Museums
Museum of the Rockies
Natural History Museums, Science Museums, History Museums
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,816 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fly fishing/horse riding outdoor life

One of the best fly fishing areas in the US is in and around Ennis MT, about an hours drive from Bozeman. www.ennischamber.com/ Bozeman is a small college city, a great place to visit, but a city with all the fast food, chain stores etc. Also close to Yellowstone National Park, a must see for everyone! www.nps.gov/yell

I looked at a few of the places on this link... now I want to go!! www.bozemannet.com/lodging/ranches.php

Hope this helps some. I spent a summer in Ennis when I was much younger. Loved the wild feel to the area and loved catching dinner from the Madison River!

Mentioned in this post
Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,875 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fly fishing/horse riding outdoor life

Take a look at the Skyline Guest Ranch near Cooke City... really it's an outfitter/B&B place that offers fishing and horse riding among other things. Breakfast is it though.

Plenty of ranches to stay at around Yellowstone or elsewhere in Montana and beyond.

Diamond D Ranch near Stanley Idaho is another great spot for fly fishing... though it is in a remote location.

Mentioned in this post
western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fly fishing/horse riding outdoor life

The trout fishing all around Bozeman is world class. You might have a look at Chico Hot Springs in Pray, south of Livingston. Contact Dan Bailey's Fly Shop in Livingston for local fishing information.

Mentioned in this post
Chico Hot Springs
Chico Hot Springs
217 Reviews
Pray, MT
Bozeman
Bozeman
Montana
Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,993 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fly fishing/horse riding outdoor life

There are 2 places near Ennis that might be of interest to you:

www.diamondjranch.com and www.madisonvalleyranch.com

The DiamondJ is about 10 miles out of town - up in Jack Creek Canyon - a beautiful area. They have riding and fishing programs for both adults and children. They are not taking reservations for the summer yet, but if you're interested,. I would suggest giving them a call.

The Madison Valley ranch is just a couple of miles from town, along the Madison River - also a very beautiful setting. It is a little more adult-oriented, but does accept families with children.

Check out the websites for more details on both places - and good luck!

PS - also check out some of the motels - Rainbow Valley Lodge has rooms with kitchen facilities, and can help arrange fly-fishing guides, etc. for you.

Mentioned in this post
Rainbow Valley Lodge
Rainbow Valley Lodge
133 Reviews
Ennis, MT
Madison
Madison
Wisconsin
Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,993 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fly fishing/horse riding outdoor life

Here's one more to look at - Centennial ranch: www.beardsleyfishhuntmt.com/Default.htm

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fly fishing/horse riding outdoor life

Thanks ever so much everyone, looks like I have some great options to research - I'm getting excitited already

7. Re: Fly fishing/horse riding outdoor life

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2011, 07:40